New Member - Chickens on the mountain

SteveSwims

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2021
Good afternoon chicken friends,
My name is Stephen. I am a homeschool dad living in Haymarket VA, on the top of a mountain. I have five Cinnamon Queens, five dominique hens, and on rooster who I think is a dominique or barred rock. The ten girls are about 8 weeks old, my rooster is about 12 weeks old. They are definitely still separate, and will have to be so until the girls are older. We just moved into the home two months ago, and finally have room for chickens. I have wanted birds since I was a wee lad, and could not be happier with my little flock. Am now a fully obsessed chicken dad, and am enjoying introducing my three kids (ages 5, 3, and 1) to the life of taking care of chickens. Right now, the flock is looking super healthy, have miraculously had no issues. I keep waiting for my first problem, as this is our starter flock, and nothing so far. Got them as chicks from TSC, and have been so fun. Rooster was found on the side of the road, in need of a good home. My first question would be: How do I soften my big man and get him used to me and the kids? Any ideas on how to help a rooster be more human friendly? Thanks in advance!

Stephen

Good afternoon chicken friends,
My name is Stephen. I am a homeschool dad living in Haymarket VA, on the top of a mountain. I have five Cinnamon Queens, five dominique hens, and on rooster who I think is a dominique or barred rock. The ten girls are about 8 weeks old, my rooster is about 12 weeks old. They are definitely still separate, and will have to be so until the girls are older. We just moved into the home two months ago, and finally have room for chickens. I have wanted birds since I was a wee lad, and could not be happier with my little flock. Am now a fully obsessed chicken dad, and am enjoying introducing my three kids (ages 5, 3, and 1) to the life of taking care of chickens. Right now, the flock is looking super healthy, have miraculously had no issues. I keep waiting for my first problem, as this is our starter flock, and nothing so far. Got them as chicks from TSC, and have been so fun. Rooster was found on the side of the road, in need of a good home. My first question would be: How do I soften my big man and get him used to me and the kids? Any ideas on how to help a rooster be more human friendly? Thanks in advance!

Stephen
Welcome to BYC!!!

Here are a few tips for taming a rooster at a young age:
*Walk in the coop/area he is staying in a few times a day. Let him know you and your family are not a threat to his hens. Their main goal in life (besides mating) is to protect their flock against threats, including you if you do not show you are dominant and not a threat early on.
*Don't just let the chickens out, feed them, and then put them up. This goes along with the first one, but if you don't take the time to sit with your flock a few times a week or hand out treats or some sort of interaction, your whole flock including the hens will most likely be skittish. I have raised probably 50 roosters over the past few years of having chickens, and only a handful became "mean" which can sometimes point to genetics as well.
*Hold/pet the rooster/give treats. Once again, it goes along with the other things I mentioned above. Get him used to you and your family. I have had so many roosters that are more like pets, and some even nicer than my hens. Just take your time, do not rush into it. He is still young so if he has any bad behaviors, now is the time to correct or get rid of him.

If all goes well, you will have a nice or at least tolerable rooster. Maybe even a pet that likes to perch on your arms!

*Pictures are of my old roosters from a few years back. They sadly had to be culled from a respiratory disease but they were such pets! Now I have about 15 roosters over 80 hens, and all are sweet, the only ones with attitude are my sebright roosters but they do not attack, just like to act macho!

Attachments

• 20201110_125245.jpg
    20201110_125245.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201120_162104.jpg
    20201120_162104.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210811_152043.jpg
    20210811_152043.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 4
Welcome to BYC!!!

Here are a few tips for taming a rooster at a young age:
*Walk in the coop/area he is staying in a few times a day. Let him know you and your family are not a threat to his hens. Their main goal in life (besides mating) is to protect their flock against threats, including you if you do not show you are dominant and not a threat early on.
*Don't just let the chickens out, feed them, and then put them up. This goes along with the first one, but if you don't take the time to sit with your flock a few times a week or hand out treats or some sort of interaction, your whole flock including the hens will most likely be skittish. I have raised probably 50 roosters over the past few years of having chickens, and only a handful became "mean" which can sometimes point to genetics as well.
*Hold/pet the rooster/give treats. Once again, it goes along with the other things I mentioned above. Get him used to you and your family. I have had so many roosters that are more like pets, and some even nicer than my hens. Just take your time, do not rush into it. He is still young so if he has any bad behaviors, now is the time to correct or get rid of him.

If all goes well, you will have a nice or at least tolerable rooster. Maybe even a pet that likes to perch on your arms!

*Pictures are of my old roosters from a few years back. They sadly had to be culled from a respiratory disease but they were such pets! Now I have about 15 roosters over 80 hens, and all are sweet, the only ones with attitude are my sebright roosters but they do not attack, just like to act macho!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! That is amazing advice, much appreciated!!!!

Welcome to BYC, Stephen. What behaviors is the cockrel exhibiting? Is he attacking or is he just shy?
In any case, I'd caution you to supervise any rooster, no matter how friendly, around children. They ( roosters and children) can be unpredictable.
Good luck, and congratulations on your new flock!

:welcome :frow Your male will probably be skittish for awhile as he has probably been through a lot in his life so far. With some TLC he will probably calm down after awhile. He needs to get a routine so he will feel safe. Some males are very friendly and some could care less in my experience as well as some females.Your one bird is a Barred Rock. Dominique's have Rose Combs. Good luck and have fun with your flock...

Back
Top Bottom