New Member - Chicks and building a Coop

DyaSna

In the Brooder
May 28, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? For the second year my daughters school incubated eggs, and she wrote a persuasive essay to us on allowing her take one home. Brought 2 home on May 17th.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We now have 4 chicks

(3) What breeds do you have? The original 2 from school were white Leghorns. We were the last parents to pick up so we missed out on the Australorp. We picked out two at a local farm store: Amercaucana and a New Plymouth Blue Rock. I actually have an order in for 4 additional chicks for early August delivery, I am planning a mixed flock.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Beside the love of fresh eggs, it is a family project for my daughter. She is also in 4H and can use them in projects. Trying to buy family friendly breeds for our large family including two young granddaugters.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? We enjoy outdoor activities around our property riding ATV's, horses, bird and deer watching.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We have 5 kids, our daughter is still at home and 2 granddaughters. We have a few cats and dogs. Horses at my parents as we don't have pasture space.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community. I read several searches on chick care, breeds, coops, etc. I decided I should join to so I can ask questions!

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby.

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom