New Member :D

What breed should I really consider getting?

• Japanese Bantam

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Serama

• Rhode Island Red

• Silkie

• Ameraucana

• Jersey Giant

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hayleykay

Hatching
6 Years
May 25, 2013
United States
Hi my name is Hayley. I am a high school student and an active member in FFA(Future Farmers of America). I currently own just 1 rooster who I got for free. Im not sure what breed he is and sadly I can not show him due to his wrong coloring and abnormal comb but I am planning on getting 6-8 market hens (not sure on what breed yet...i don't get to choose) for FFA. I also want to get about 15 more hens/roosters. I have not decided on the breeds I want but I want a mixture of bantams and large breeds. I haven't had much experience with chickens before but I am now learning from my fellow friends in FFA and I read my chicken encyclopedia(best book i have ever bought) almost every night. I take it to school with me and read it in class. I do get weird looks when people see I am reading chicken books but I live in a very urban area and half the kids at my school never even have seen or touched a farm animal. I love reading the different forums and I have learned tons about chickens from them. I can't wait to start raising chickens. I've acknowledged so much about chickens and I am so excited. I am chicken crazy :p

Do not worry-
I think the majority of the people here are chicken crazy!! Welcome to Backyard Chickens! If you post a photo of the rooster, maybe we can help you figure out what breed he is. I am known by my friends as "the crazy chicken lady", so I understand the weird looks!!!! Best of luck.
Iris

Greetings from Kansas, Hayley, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! I think getting a mix is a good option. Good luck to you!

welcome-byc.gif
You won't get weird looks here.

It's hard to pick a breed for you. Do you plan to sell eggs? Then you would want a good laying breed. If you plan to show, I would think maybe a rarer breed would do best because it would stand out. Whereas with very popular breedsy yours would be just one of the group. Silkies and seramas are really neat - in fact I like the bantam forms of my breeds like cochin, orpingtons, salmon faverolles.

I was the "dog nut" growing up actually only my family called me that. When kids found out I was showing my dogs, they came to local shows to cheer us on. They thought it was cool.

Welcome to BYC. It appears as if your rooster is an Easter Egger. Try to attend a show and look at the many varieties of birds and then pick that which suits you both aesthetically and functionally.

Back
Top Bottom