New member finally getting chickens!

rhondapiper

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Harford County Maryland
Hi all!

I've wanted chickens for what seems like forever, and after moving to a couple acres in a rural area this year, I can finally have them.

We bought our coop materials this weekend and with some online plans and a lot of referencing these forums, we'll have the little coop all set by the end of the month.

I don't want a ton of chicks, so I ordered eight from MyPetChicken- 2 black australorps, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 gold laced wyandottes, and 2 silver laced wyandottes. They should arrive sometime in May.

I live in northern Maryland, in farm and chicken-friendly country, so I am lucky to have at least 5 feed stores reasonably close by. I've already bought a lot of supplies for the brooder, now I'm just anxiously awaiting the chicks arrival. I could have gotten chicks at the feed stores, but they were all doing RIRs and Barred Rocks and while I like those, I've had my heart set on the breeds I chose for a long time and just couldn't change my mind. Hopefully they'll arrive safe and sound.

My only real concern is that I live in the woods and there are a LOT of predators. But my neighbors kept chickens successfully, so I'll just have to be very careful about building a sturdy coop and run. I'm pretty sappy about animals so I don't want to lose any.

I look forward to sharing pics and getting chicken obsessed!

Welcome! My only advice to you is to double the size of any coop you plan to build. Prepare for the addiction.

lol.png

I am adding on to my 12 x 12 coop for MORE chickens this year.

Hello, and
welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina!

Sounds like you have a good plan, now, just think like a fox, weasel, etc., and block those holes!

Looking forward to progress reports,

ranchhand

Back
Top Bottom