New Member-Florida

GatorGrandma

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Hi! I am a new member in Florida. My son and his wife have been raising BYC for the past year...I've caught the fever :) We are researching building a coop and the best breed of chickens to have with kids. I have lots of small grandchildren and I want them to be comfortable handling the chickens, I am reading the book "A chicken in every yard" and it recommends the Brahma, Cochin, Orpington, Ameraucana, and Plymouth Rock breeds.

Any other suggestions? So excited to start, now need to find chicks in my area!

So glad I found this site before beginning

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

That book is a great one. And those breeds are awesome! However, if you are wanting ameraucanas know that you probably will get EEs instead. It is super hard to find true bred ameraucanas.

Orpingtons are my personal favorite. They are docile, affectionate, lap hogs, cold hardy, sweet natured and good layers. Brahmas and cochins are also super sweet and lovable. Plymouth rocks are a bit more curious and independent but are still docile.

You should be sure to check out our learning center. Lots of great info there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/advice-for-first-time-chicken-owners
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/getting-started-raising-chickens

Glad you joined and good luck!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Definitely Orps!! I keep Black Australorps, (also Orps) and they are just super friendly, docile and love to lap sit! Buff Orps, Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, Cochins...all great breeds to keep.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Mountain Peeps has left you with the link. Lots of good articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif

I have BO and BR. Bo's can stay broody quite a bit and when broomy, not a lot of fun. But I do love mine! BR are more consistent in nature, never go broody and are friendly as long as you have treats!

welcome-byc.gif

I have BO and BR. Bo's can stay broody quite a bit and when broomy, not a lot of fun. But I do love mine! BR are more consistent in nature, never go broody and are friendly as long as you have treats!
Isn't that funny?! I've never had a BO go broody! All chickens are different!

Thank you so much. Looking forward to this new adventure. Can't wait to share this with my grandbabies
ya.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining and have chicken fever. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. I've had all those breeds on your list over the years and they are all docile breeds. My children made lap pets of Brahmas, Cochins, and Orpingtons. Another breed you might want to consider, which are better layers than any of these breeds on your list are Black Australorps. The are extremely hardy, have the same calm and gentle temperament as the Orpingtons (not surprising since they were originally bred using Orpington stock with the purpose of increasing egg production; my children made lap pets of our BAs as well), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days, and while none of mine have ever reached that kind of production (and likely never will), I've still had a few of them lay over 300 eggs in a year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom