New member from Arkansas

welcome-byc.gif
This a great place to learn! I love it!

Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I'll 'cluck' when I got more news!
I read your posts today and wanted to "meet" you. My hubby and I have six hens (we are far from ready to take on as many as you did.) I have visited byc many times over the years, because I have always wanted to have a flock of my own. My Dad raised chickens and I have a bit of experience with them, but a lot of it is new to me since I was too young to learn everything my Dad knew. BYC is a BIG help. We bought chicks last March and so far they are all still healthy and happy. We have a fairly small coop. We wanted to see if we could do this before we expanded our flock, but we get plenty of eggs, so I doubt if we will be doing that any time, soon. I wanted to build a bigger coop and use our smaller one for a rabbit condo. Probably just as well. My dogs and cat don't bother the chickens, but I think rabbits would be too much of a temptation for them.

I recently found a thread on here that talked about "Sweet PDZ". I hadn't heard of it before, but I am anxious to try it. We already have a deep layer of pine shavings in the coop, so it will have to wait til warmer weather and when it becomes necessary to clean it out. We didn't keep much shavings in there until it got really cold. It is amazing how much poo six hens can create overnight. I can't even image how much twenty five chickens make!

We use heat lamps too, to keep the water in the coop from freezing. Their outside water bowls/containers freeze up so fast and are hard to keep up with, but the mornings are when they really need it because we are second-shifters and don't get up to let them out of the pen as early as THEY would like. NEXT winter, we are going to invest in a heated water container. There are lots of good suggestions on this site and I love the "Reviews". They are very helpful. The "Search" option is great, so you can research things easier. I was kind of lost at first, wondering how to zero in on what I want to know, amongst the forums (they don't ALWAYS stay on the subject, ---like me, right now.) I'm in Kansas and tried a thread for Kansas peeps, but I see people getting to know each other on about ANY thread.

Well, enjoy this brief respite from the sub-zero temperatures. We may get freezing rain today but hopefully it will just be plain old rain. Hope things are okay in Arkansas, too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom