New member from Charelston SC

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!

Have you thought about which breed to keep? I am a big fan of the Orpington breeds, especially the Buff Orps and the Black Australorps. Really docile and friendly birds. Great layers too! Plymouth Barred Rocks, Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Leghorns and others are also great on the laying too. All hardy birds as well.

Stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on getting started with chickens, building the coop, raising the chicks, and keeping your flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on! Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

Thank You! I'm not really sure yet. I have been reading about them all morning. Never knew there were so many diff kinds of chickens.

I have silkies and love them! The are sweet and docile. They lay adorable little cream colored eggs. The only problem (but this could be good if you are interested in hatching eggs) is they go broody every few months. But for me, that is a price I'm willing to pay for such cute sweet birds!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. If sheer egg production is your main priority, I would suggest Black Sex Links (Black Stars) which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids) and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Two Crows gave you good advice.

Buff orpingtons are my favorite breed! They are great layers, affectionate and curious.

Back
Top Bottom