1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member from Cincinnati

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RampagingHens, Oct 9, 2016.

1. RampagingHens

RampagingHens New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    Hi there... I just officially joined up as a member. I've been around the site since the spring, just reading up on things and learning what we need to know as new urban chicken farmers. We were pleasantly surprised to learn about a school-based program in our neighborhood that helps people with raising chickens, so we had plenty of hands on help getting started.

We have five chickens now: three golden comets, one barred rock, and one leghorn. Their names are McNugget, Colonel Sanders, General Tso, Cordon Bleu, and Foghorn [​IMG]. We're at max capacity for now, but I'd like to get a Buckeye next just to help maintain a rarer species (plus we are in Ohio).

So far we've had pretty good luck with them. We raised a dozen mail order chicks and only had one health issue with pasting, and she recovered just fine. We kept a few of those and the others went to establish/replenish other flocks. We also lost a teenager chick to a coon. After that incident, instinct finally kicked in and the chicks started going inside their coop at dusk. We let them free range when we are home. A few times we thought one was gone for good, but they've all come back eventually.

I'm also into homebrewing beer and we have a small raised bed for gardening. Another project I might start over winter is raising mushrooms, and in the spring I'd like to install a rain barrel to automate most of our backyard watering needs. I'm not really the engineering type, so I usually do a lot of research and learning from others until I find the most practical, easiest, and relatively affordable way to do these things!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Buckeyes are a great breed, but if you really want to help a rare breed, purchase from a breeder who works with standardbred fowl and exhibits his birds in APA shows. Tons of hatcheries sell supposed "Buckeyes" and they're all Production Red hybrids which are in no way pure or rare. Real Buckeyes, on the other hand, are indeed rare and could use more folks keeping them. I've got one from exhibition stock and although she's not a show winner, she's a lovely bird with great vigor and personality.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, RampagingHens, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Glad you are into chickens. I'm into home brewing as well! Too many hobbies - not enough time! Best wishes! :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you joined the flock.

6. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

7. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

8. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I love all of the breeds you have there! I hope you make yourself at home here, and enjoy it as much as I have!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by