New Member from Geelong, Vic

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Leese13, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Leese13

Leese13 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2013
    Hi everyone.
    Finally I decided to become part of the Backyard chicken world. After searching the internet several hundred times with questions, I always ended up here, with so many great answers.
    I have 2 chooks, a duck and 3 turkeys (1 male "Gobbles" and 2 female "Bungy and Norma"). [​IMG]
    We recently got the 2 female turkeys for Gobbles as he was getting rather attached to me, doing his lovely mating dance occasionally when I would visit and feed them. He only likes me (and my husband) he will attack anyone else. My 11 yr old has been got by him a few times now. He threatens him with being Christmas lunch. So I no longer let my two kids go in as my three year old is just the right height for his claws to get her. But I love him, he follows me around and herds the other animals away from me when I am cleaning out their enclosure. He has a face only a mother could love.

Only the other day I caught him trying to have relations with poor old "Spotty" the chicken. She was none too impressed. The female turkeys are still a bit young for mating, so hopefully the chickens will not have to suffer him stomping on top of them for too much longer!
    I have a question about our duck "Quackers", not a very original name. She layed several eggs in a row for the first few weeks we had her, then stopped for months and months and since then layed one every now and then. Is this normal or is it a nutrition issue?? I feed the same to all of them, it a pellet for chooks, turkeys and ducks. They all live in the same enclosure (15m x 40m) and get to free range occasionally. They use to be out everyday until the new turkeys decided to keep going into the neighbours yard and making it near impossible to get them back. I didn't realise they could fly so well. Gobbles is too fat and lazy to go anywhere.

Thanks and I look forward to expanding my world of chickens, turkeys and ducks.[​IMG]
    Leese

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello from Alaska and welcome.[​IMG]

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] sounds like when the free ranging ended so did the egg routine. Also they may do better on feed meant for their species. I don't think ducks and chickens have the same nutritional needs. Turkeys I wouldn't even guess at. If you check out "Other backyard poultry" you could post questions of the duck threads and ask if the feed you use is okay for ducks. If you can no longer free range the turkeys, could you still let the chickens and ducks do so. I'm sure the hens would love to escape the oversexed turkey.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I would also recommend asking in the Ducks section of the forum, lots of knowledgable folks there

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]

Welcome from Jacksonville, FL

Caroline

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Leese13, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! Good luck to you and best wishes.

9. Bluebee

Bluebee Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Cali
    Welcome to BYC, glad to have you aboard! [​IMG]

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by