New member from Indianapolis, IN!

benisjamino

Chirping
11 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Hi everybody! I've been interested in raising a few chicken for quite a while now. I have a bunch of questions and I'd love it if anyone could start pointing me in the right directions.

First off, I have a small to medium sized, privacy fenced backyard. I saw this 'Precision Pet Urban Modular Chicken Coop' (http://www.precisionpet.com/detail.aspx?ID=198) on sale on Groupon. Is this a reasonable size for two hens? The Groupon deal is $150 for the coop and $80 for the add-on. Are there better options?
As far as building something myself, I majored in Furniture Design, so that's not an issue. However, I am extremely limited on time and tools right now.

Secondly, I live in Indiana where we have fairly mild winters and hot, humid, awful summers. Any suggestions for breeds that thrive in that type of weather? I have a heated garage, so it is possible to move them inside as well.
There is a farm store down the street from my house that sells chicks. Is it safe to assume the birds they have there would be good? I live in a neighborhood, so I would prefer not to have a rooster. Is it easy to tell males and females apart as chicks?

Any other suggestions on where to start researching some more would be great! Also, if there is anything that a novice wouldn't think of looking into ahead of time would be fantastic!

Thanks everyone!

-Ben

Greetings from Kansas, Ben, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Those are really good questions you've asked. I'll take a crack at them.
I looked at the coop - it looks attractive and well built - and for 2 hens would be adequate I believe. Is the add-on the screened run or the layer box? For the coop hens require 4 sq. ft./bird so there you are covered. The run might be a little small as it is recommended it to be 10 sq. ft./bird. But runs are easy to add on to. One thing to consider is adding chickens...with this coop I think you are almost maxed 2.
-Just about any breed will be okay in Indiana. Chickens handle cold better than heat. For the heat - make sure the coop has ventilation and make sure the run has breeze and shade access, plus cool fresh water.
-The birds are your local feed store are from hatcheries. Usually these are popular breeds that lay well. Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Leghorns, and sex-linked breeds. I think these would all be good choices.

Take a gander at the Learning Center - it gives lots of tips and tricks for the novice chicken herder. Best of luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Greetings from Kansas, Ben, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Those are really good questions you've asked. I'll take a crack at them.
I looked at the coop - it looks attractive and well built - and for 2 hens would be adequate I believe. Is the add-on the screened run or the layer box? For the coop hens require 4 sq. ft./bird so there you are covered. The run might be a little small as it is recommended it to be 10 sq. ft./bird. But runs are easy to add on to. One thing to consider is adding chickens...with this coop I think you are almost maxed 2.
-Just about any breed will be okay in Indiana. Chickens handle cold better than heat. For the heat - make sure the coop has ventilation and make sure the run has breeze and shade access, plus cool fresh water.
-The birds are your local feed store are from hatcheries. Usually these are popular breeds that lay well. Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Leghorns, and sex-linked breeds. I think these would all be good choices.

Take a gander at the Learning Center - it gives lots of tips and tricks for the novice chicken herder. Best of luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/

Thank you very much for the advice!

welcome-byc.gif
Redsoxs gave your great advice. Please getting chickens seem to become addicted very easily and want more and more. Byc members are all enablers - so we usually advise people to make coop and runs bigger because you will get more. Baby chicks are not easy to sex unless you buy "sex links," these are chickens were the girls or boys will be a certain color and they are commonly chosen by others. The hens are good layers.

Another thing to mention is chicken wire ONLY keeps chickens in. It does nothing to stop predators. For that hardware cloth is recommened. If you are bothered by hawks, the chicken run should have a top - even if just stretched deer netting . Hawks don't like to risk injury to their wings.

Back
Top Bottom