New member from KY

To Learn more about silkies put "Silkie thread," in the search box - you'll get to see many great photos and have loads of silkie folks to answer your breed questions.

Welcome to BYC, Gretchen. Glad you decided join our flock. Silkies are a wonderful breed for children (my children made lap pets of ours), but I wouldn't recommend putting them in the same inclosure with your RIRs, or they will likely take a beating from the larger RIRs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

I was hoping to find a hen to put with the two week old chicks in hopes that she would establish herself early but I've had no luck finding anyone that wants to give me a grown lady :( I've never had a mixed flock before, am I wrong to think this might work?!? At any rate, it make be a non issue because I simply can NOT find a silkie hen for sale.:hit
Of course I would fall in love with the unicorn of chicken breeds. Totally elusive. Sigh!

I was hoping to find a hen to put with the two week old chicks in hopes that she would establish herself early but I've had no luck finding anyone that wants to give me a grown lady
sad.png
I've never had a mixed flock before, am I wrong to think this might work?!? At any rate, it make be a non issue because I simply can NOT find a silkie hen for sale.
hit.gif

Of course I would fall in love with the unicorn of chicken breeds. Totally elusive. Sigh!

If you try and put a hen in with strange chicks she will likely peck them to death. Chickens that have not been raised together need to be approximately the same size and even then they need to be introduced very slowly and carefully using the look but don't touch method. There is a good article at http://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/introducing-new-chickens explaining how to do this.

I think I have found a hen to add to my flock. Keep fingers crossed that the introductions go as smoothly as possible...

Back
Top Bottom