New Member from Memphis

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cobra3073, Jan 4, 2017.

1. cobra3073

cobra3073 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Signed up on yesterday and am looking forward to interacting with y'all.

While I am new to the site, I am not new to "chickens.' Earlier in my life, I raised chickens, primarily bantams, for about 15 years. Was in the military for 30 years and raised OEG for about five years while stationed in the Philippines. For that you that may not know it, cockfighting is a big deal over there. That was NOT my approach to the hobby, I just liked breeding and taking care of these beautiful birds.

Retired from the military in 1995 and worked as a traveling investigator for the U.S. Treasury for 14 years. Now, I am REALLY retired and getting somewaht tired of my old Mustang car restoration/modification hobby, so decided to get back into the "chicken" hobby again. Living in the "City", the egg idea seems good but I really just love the idea of raising beautiful birds. While I would love to raise OEG's, I am thinking that the "Red" or "Brown" leghorns might be the way to go as the Roosters look somewhat similar. Plus, the hens (being leghorns) are prolific layers of egg.

Yes, I know most folks in Memphis who raise chickens are seemingly under the impression that you cannot have Roosters. I have researched the appropriate ordinances and coordinated with the code folks and determined the only thing applicable violation (as it relates to roosters0 is to "noise", i.e., possibly incessant crowing. The Code supervisors and City/County Attorney Health supervisors have assured me that they have no problems with it unless there are complaints. I have checked with all my current neighbors who have stated they, too, have no problems with it..especially when I threw in the "offer" of potential cage-free eggs. Some folks even stated they loved the idea of hearing roosters crowing in the morning. LOL

So, it appears that I am "good to go."

The other option I am looking at is raising bantams, possibly one or more of the Dutch and/or Belgium breeds...also looking at the Nankins. Right now, I am looking around for a contractor to build the Coop and Run...I have, what I believe, are a great set of plans for the build-up. Also, looking at the offerings from several hatcheries.

Again, I am looking forward to being an ACTIVE participant here on the site.

BT

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Leghorns are my all time favorites - I find them to be the most attractive chickens.

3. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC..

You are so lucky to be so close to the bass Pro Pyramid!..

How about a turkey?

Or if you liked your skinny Game birds how about some of these:

[​IMG]

I am really starting to like these worthless little birds.

Good luck and enjoy your time here.. and remember have fun, most of us try too!

4. cobra3073

cobra3073 New Egg

Jan 3, 2017
    Wow...that's is what I am talking about...BEAUTIFUL birds, those OEGs you have there.

...and Yes, the Leghorns are "growing" on me. I think growing up I did not appreciate their beauty as the "white" variety were so common in my area and I was more into the ornamental bantams, primarily the Mille Fleurs and Sebrights. I am especially impressed with the Rose Comb Brown Leghorns and the Red Leghorns.

Decisions, decisions! LOL

BT

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under cobra3073 [​IMG] Welcome!

I love bantams and have 5 pet gals. “Living in the city, the egg idea seems good” would lean towards Leghorns, not bantams; in my experience they spend more time broody than laying eggs and I have been known to buy eggs to scramble and feed back to them.. yeah, I know [​IMG] lol

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    WELCOME!!!!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock. Thank you sincerely for your years in service. You have some interesting plans, hope you will repost to let us know how things are going.

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from from Kansas, cobra, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! As Diva said - thank you for you service in the military! Good luck on :)your retirement and entry into the chicken world! Best wishes! :)

9. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good for you on checking into the local ordinances before moving ahead with getting birds...too often we hear of people getting the birds first, then finding out they are not legal. It sounds like you have some interesting plans. And you're right about trying to make breed decisions, lol. No matter what you end up with, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Thank you for joining us!

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota

That is a yokohama

Kind of gamish looking Japanese Phoenix kind of...he is a pretty quiet rooster.

Let us know what breeds you get, And know turkeys are great to have around

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by