New member from Missouri

MissMo

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 12, 2014
Hello all. I am new to backyard chickens and am raising my first flock of chickens. I live on a small town lot and am limited to the number of animals I can have. I currently have a miniature Pomeranian - Buddy and 6 Rhode Island Reds- Violet, Rose, Daisy, Lily, Iris and Petunia. Rose and Violet turned out to be roosters, the naughty things. They were supposed to be all hens! I found my first eggs today! There were 5 small brown eggs in their pen. All cracked. Have to get their nesting boxes in there pronto. Looking forward to learning and dishing with all of you.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens, yes, it is common for pullets to morph into cockerels
gig.gif
Every body seem to have the same thing.

They are beautiful boys, but I am so limited as to the number I can have I am going to be forced to give them away or slaughter them-not my cup of tea

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I love the flower names for all of your girls. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) names our hens after Disney princesses. I'm sorry though that two of them turned out to be roosters. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck getting your nesting boxes in and eggs in the nesting boxes.

Your granddaughter is beautiful. Disney Princesses, that's cute. I have a makeshift box ready to go in this AM. It's a plastic bucket. Planning to line it with some newspaper and pine shavings. Just need to get it off the ground as my coop flooded last week. And yes, I don't know what to do with my fellas, don't want to feed them all winter but I can't be the one to kill them. I raised them from babies, they trust me. Nope can't do it.

Last edited:
Your granddaughter is beautiful. Disney Princesses, that's cute. I have a makeshift box ready to go in this AM. It's a plastic bucket. Planning to line it with some newspaper and pine shavings. Just need to get it off the ground as my coop flooded last week. And yes, I don't know what to do with my fellas, don't want to feed them all winter but I can't be the one to kill them. I raised them from babies, they trust me. Nope can't do it.

Thanks. I think so, but then I know I'm prejudice. :eek:) Pine shavings make excellent bedding material for nest boxes, but I would advise not using newspaper. It's not nearly as absorbent as pine shavings, and the slippery surface can potentially cause injury problems for your hens. Also newspaper is more likely to mold than pine shavings. Mold in the nest is something you want to avoid as it can lead to illness. Hopefully you can re-home your roosters. You can try listing them on Craigslist, or perhaps the people who work at your local feed store may know someone who would want them. They may even have a bulletin board on which you can advertise them. Or you can check with your local 4h club and see if some of the students might be willing to take them. Good luck in re-homing them.

Thanks for the tips. Nixing the newspaper. Had no luck on Craigslist, will check some of your other suggestions. Thanx.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about the roosters! It's so disappointing when that happens. I hope you find good homes for them. Dry grass, hay, straw works just as well as nesting box material, sand too! A friend of mine uses sand in his boxes and it works wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom