New member from NC

Biscuit Bunch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 18, 2013
Hello BYC! I am here to introduce the Biscuit Bunch. We are happy to be here and have already learned a lot!

Our flock is little, only 7 birds at the moment. We started raising our birds New Year 2013 after a family member was kind enough to build us a coop. We started with 4 birds(1 rooster and 3 hens) in the original coop. The birds were given to us by a family friend and we have no idea what type they are. They are approximately 1 year old now. We let one hen sit on 6 eggs not long after she started laying(the first of our birds to do so). She ended up hatching 3, 2 roosters and 1 hen. Common story line around here it seems, lol - we then had to build another coop. After about 8 weeks momma hen was ready to get back with the flock so we tried to integrate them all. After finding 2 chicks dead, the hen and one of the roosters, we realized that was a bad idea.

Problem is, we had already decided to let one of the other hens sit on her eggs. So, we had to build a third coop to house the one remaining juvenile rooster. Newest momma hen only hatched 2 of the 6 eggs she was sitting on, 1 hen and 1 rooster. The newest young rooster was the reason we went looking for chicken advice on the web since he seems to be having some health issues. You can read the posting at the link below:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/826826/my-young-rooster-is-having-problems

Wish we had joined earlier, we have learned the hard way about several things that we could have just read about here and avoided. Anyway, better late than never I guess. We look forward to being a part of the backyard chicken community for a long time, and it is nice to be amongst others that do the same.

Take care of yourselves and your chickens!

Thanks for sharing with us as well!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
Hope to see you round

Thanks for the welcomes!

For the 9 months that we have had these chickens, we have been trying to figure out what breed they might be. Anybody got input?

It was thought from the get-go that we had some sort of mix breed. They came from a friend's mother's backyard, and she doesn't show, only keeps chickens for eggs and meat.

After searching here and other places, I still think the mixed breed is most likely, but I found a few breeds that they may have been derived from.

Before I say which breeds I think they originated from, I was hoping to hear what more chicken educated people might think.

Hello BYC! I am here to introduce the Biscuit Bunch. We are happy to be here and have already learned a lot!

Our flock is little, only 7 birds at the moment. We started raising our birds New Year 2013 after a family member was kind enough to build us a coop. We started with 4 birds(1 rooster and 3 hens) in the original coop. The birds were given to us by a family friend and we have no idea what type they are. They are approximately 1 year old now. We let one hen sit on 6 eggs not long after she started laying(the first of our birds to do so). She ended up hatching 3, 2 roosters and 1 hen. Common story line around here it seems, lol - we then had to build another coop. After about 8 weeks momma hen was ready to get back with the flock so we tried to integrate them all. After finding 2 chicks dead, the hen and one of the roosters, we realized that was a bad idea.

Problem is, we had already decided to let one of the other hens sit on her eggs. So, we had to build a third coop to house the one remaining juvenile rooster. Newest momma hen only hatched 2 of the 6 eggs she was sitting on, 1 hen and 1 rooster. The newest young rooster was the reason we went looking for chicken advice on the web since he seems to be having some health issues. You can read the posting at the link below:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/826826/my-young-rooster-is-having-problems

Wish we had joined earlier, we have learned the hard way about several things that we could have just read about here and avoided. Anyway, better late than never I guess. We look forward to being a part of the backyard chicken community for a long time, and it is nice to be amongst others that do the same.

Take care of yourselves and your chickens!

Thanks for sharing with us as well!

They look like they may have some type of Game breed in there..... if so they tend to be difficult to integrate new birds into the flock from what I have heard.

welcome-byc.gif
they do look like games, or game breed mix - they are so upright and slender you could post photos on "what gender or breed is this," to get more opinions. Sometimes you do need to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Back
Top Bottom