New Member from NY

ChickenAl

Diagnosis...Chicken-Headed
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
Putnam cty, NY
Just had to join after lurking for a couple months and just today installing our chicken nipple water bucket. First, I have to thank this forum and its members for all the advice you provide. I ordered the nipples after seeing so many liking them, and man are they going to work out great. The girls took to 'em in 10 seconds. Curiosity alone had them figure it out right away.

So, a little about our girls. We have six pullets 11 weeks old. 3 golden comets and 3 amberlinks. Never thought we could warm up to a chicken, but have we ever. Our ladies are part of the family now and it has been so much fun watching them grow from little peepers to fairly large birds in the past 3 months. We divided a shed for them as a coop and built a covered run. Since we are in suburbia on a smallish lot we are keeping them confined to the coop and run for now. Might give them a paddock later on.

We have 4 dogs and a cat too. Our dogs are small but we were concerned over the Jack Russell Terrier driving the chickens crazy from the deck, which overlooks the run, but even he is cool with them. The dogs have the run of the front yard because it is fenced in, but are never in the back where the girls are. I think all of our dogs have taken a protective attitude and understand the girls are part of the family so they don't bark at them. They only sit on the deck and watch the girls' antics.

This is our first time having chickens, and I have to say it has been a rewarding experience, so far. Once the eggs start coming I am sure it will even be better.

frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Hello and welcome from NH!!
wee.gif

Our minpin Jack, and our Pittbull shepard seemed to be watching protectively too... it was almost sweet.... until the first time the chicks got loose and started running by the pups.... something about running prey that makes a Jack forget it was a family member... it's just in them you know. Hopefully yours really are just supervising the situation
big_smile.png
not lying in wait like I think my guys secretly were... little buggers !

Enjoy the forum!!

Back
Top Bottom