1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new member from PA :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AROD207, Apr 10, 2016.

1. AROD207

AROD207 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Saylorsburg, PA
    [​IMG] A big hello to all,

happy to be apart of this group. I am from Saylorsburg, PA both me and my husband just joined BYC and i cant help but say I am pretty excited. we are new to this all but not new to owning and caring for a various amounts of animals. we recently took our two boys to purchase what was supposed to be 2 chicks and 1 duck and walked out with 4 chicks and 2 ducklings [​IMG]. we have done our research and are proud to say our little babies have grown much quicker than we expected. they are now about 2 weeks old going on 3 happily flapping around beginning to take flight. we recently went to a tractor supply near us to get more bedding and food and ended up walking out with 6 new babies that will soon be a week old they are all so darn cute you cant help but want more lol. so we now have a total of 10 chicks and 2 ducks. our ducks are blue Rouen and our first four chicks we are a bit unsure of. when we purchased them we asked for egg layers and they lady spoke so fast we didn't quiet catch the name [​IMG] esp. since we were all just excited and our newest chicks of the bunch are rainbow chicks. my 1st question for this group is if anyone can let me know what or why exactly are our chicks called rainbow chicks? we tried getting some info on them seeing as when we purchased these little ones the name on the sign said rainbow chicks but we couldn't find anything but some cute pictures people posted of chicks in all colors (hence the name rainbow chicks) lol.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about "rainbow " chicks but, when you babies are 6 weeks old or so, you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this," and get many opinions.

3. AROD207

Apr 10, 2016
    Saylorsburg, PA
    oo ok thanks

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. CherriesBrood

CherriesBrood Chicken Photographer Premium Member

Hello and [​IMG]
    We're glad you joined us!

7. LeroySouthpaw

LeroySouthpaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2016
    West Virginia
    Hi!! and Welcome to BackYardChickens!!!! [​IMG]

8. AROD207

Apr 10, 2016
    Saylorsburg, PA
    [​IMG]thank you all. so quick update I went to the tractor supply near me where I got my "rainbow" babies and I asked the lady why was the breed I choose named rainbow and her response was its a mix of a producer and a meat chicken (I'm not sure if I'm sayin it correctly) but basically the chickens people grow to kill and eat and an egg layer. I don't want to kill my chicks :-/
    any thoughts on this newly founded info?

9. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    "Rainbow" is not the breed. It seems to refer to just a random mix
    of chicks from the supplier. Of that random number, some will be
    egg layers while others will be the heavier meat. Some will be hens,
    some will be the roo.

Just a mix.

In your world, they be called "pets".

Meanwhile, I'm glad you joined us here and just enjoy your new
    journey.

10. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Do all of the chicks look alike? Or do you see different coloring, different
    feathers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by