New member from Rescue, CA (Just getting started)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rescuechik, Jan 18, 2012.

1. rescuechik

rescuechik New Egg

I'm so new at this, that I don't even have chickens, yet! My daughter is in our local high school FFA, and one thing led to another, and I'm finding myself in love (or obsessed as my daughter would say) with chickens. I want eggs out of this.. I think Soooo.... how loud are those roosters, exactly? My coop is almost ready, I just need to fence it in and then I'm ready to start (within the next month). I was thinking to let them free range the last few hours of the daytime...
    I saw an ad for Hamburgs - they are beautiful and have been advertised as good layers, but I also saw somewhere that they are rated lower for laying eggs. Nothing like mass chicken confusion before you've even started LOL. I've also heard Americana or Rhode Island Reds are best to start?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Nancy

2. Welcome from Colorado. I'm new to BYC too and this is the best place to get advice about breeds. I started with an assortment of birds to try to gauge which best suited me. I raised my babies to be friendly and easy to handle. In general I find that RIR and orpingtons are the friendliest while leghorns and wyandottes are more standoffish but better layers. Of course, I've had exceptions to the rules everytime!

3. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Welcome :D
    Well, you dont need a rooster for a hen to lay an egg, but I will gladly say that the crowing all depends on your roo. Mine is a sweet heart and only crows once or twice in the morning and then again at dusk.
    Its just like kids, there are loud once who scream, and then there are the good ones who sit and look pretty lol :D
    EE's are an awesome bird to start with, as well as RIR so i have heard.
    I started out with my Buff's and Wyandottes! Now i have a mixed flock and get a TON of eggs.

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Hello Nancy! [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!
    There are so many breeds out there, so I would say breed for what you like! RIR are great egg layers and so our the Orpingtons.
    No reason why you couldn't have a variety of different breeds to start off with! Good luck!

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

:welcome

I have Gold/silver laced wyandottes, faverolle, ee, silkies and mutts! They are all great.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a great variety of breeds in my flock, but I started with "the standard five" dual purpose breeds: Plymouth Rock - Barred (commonly called Barred Rocks) - but she wasn't, Buff Orpington, Black Australorp, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Ameraucana - actually an Easter Egger. The supposed BR was another EE. All were very friendly. Chicken math hit early and I added an actual BR, another EE, and a Light Brahma within a month. Also very friendly, but the "new" EE turned out to be a cockerel. He is now my dominant rooster, Carl.

7. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    [​IMG]

8. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

10. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    [​IMG] from Michigan. There is a ton of good info on this site.

My favorites happen to be my Black Copper Marans, Buff Orpingtons, and Americaunas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by