New Member from SE Iowa

HoneysHouse

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2022
1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I am a first time chicken owner.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We have 3

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 - Rhode Island red
2 - buff Orpingtons

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Connecting with these little feathered friends every day. Learning their personalities and watching them develop.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We garden, read and enjoy our backyard life.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

My husband and I retired and moved from CA to rural Iowa in 2015. Born and raised in SF Bay Area. Rural living is where I should have been born. :)

We have a almost 13 year old Finnish Lapphund dog. She is a reindeer herder from Finland. She is slowing down so much at this age. The chickens like to jump on her behind and she doesn’t really care. I think we are benefitting from her age and maternal instincts. When the chicks were in brooder she saw them every day and adopted them as her job to protect. She warns of “bad birds” in the sky.

We have a 10 year old great-grandson and I enjoy volunteering in his class every year.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

Any search I made on internet almost always brought this forum up in the results. It’s my go to source now. I figured if I want to ask questions of all the experienced chicken owners here I needed to get serious. 😊

Back
Top Bottom