New member from So. Utah

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to learning from you!

Caroline - Jacksonville FL

Thanks Desert Springs! I live in a small town 70 miles away from any home depot or big store like that. However, my husband is a farmer and we have access to sand on our farm down by the river. So we will try some of that. We have received almost 8 inches of rain in two months , 4 of those in the first 11 days of Sept ! My coop is out behind our house, the coop is dry but the run is muddy ! Crazy weather here for S. Utah !

Thanks Desert Springs! I live in a small town 70 miles away from any home depot or big store like that. However, my husband is a farmer and we have access to sand on our farm down by the river. So we will try some of that. We have received almost 8 inches of rain in two months , 4 of those in the first 11 days of Sept ! My coop is out behind our house, the coop is dry but the run is muddy ! Crazy weather here for S. Utah !

Nice that you have access to sand so close!! Home Depot and Lowes each are over an hour and a half away from us. We have the Strawberry River here, but I think someone would have a problem if we started scooping sand from the banks...lol.

Good luck and hope you start drying out!!

Thanks Desert Springs. We have finally dried out, but all of a sudden winter seems to have hit instead of Fall. It has been freezing the last few nights. Kind of worried for my hens, they have been molting quite badly and they need to grow some more feathers fast!

Quote:
Give them a higher protein feed. I think I've heard that Cal Ranch has a feed called Feather Helper (or something along those lines). We too, up here in the Uintah Basin have been hit by a touch of winter. So NOT ready...ugh!!

Deseret Springs - I saw that Feather first or something like that. I also read that Calf manna helps with molt. I am wondering if anyone has tried that. Cold front coming in tonight.

Deseret Springs - I saw that Feather first or something like that. I also read that Calf manna helps with molt. I am wondering if anyone has tried that. Cold front coming in tonight.

I haven't used Calf Manna on chickens. I have been using a specially milled grower that is 24% protein, that I have been mixing with my other feed. This is my first time using it so too soon to tell.

Yes, that cold front should be the first COLD hit we'll take this winter. Glad the heat and all that raining is over but hate the winter up here in the basin.... it gets very cold here!!! Just put my order in at the feed store for 6 new base heaters and some milkhouse heaters. Think I'm okay this year on stock tank heaters...lol. Was burning them all out every three to four weeks last year.... unbelievably cold... hope this year is milder. Can handle more snow, instead of cold.

It gets very cold here too. Our elevation is 6666. I hope we get more snow and that it is not as cold but we always get some pretty low temps especially in Dec, Jan and Feb. I hope my hens get all their feathers in soon. I just need to come up with some form of watering that is better than what we have been doing.

It gets very cold here too. Our elevation is 6666. I hope we get more snow and that it is not as cold but we always get some pretty low temps especially in Dec, Jan and Feb. I hope my hens get all their feathers in soon. I just need to come up with some form of watering that is better than what we have been doing.

I use heater bases on my metal waters.... the ONLY way I can water practically. Our water source is turned off to the chickens during the winter so I have to haul...yuck!! Yes, you are higher, we are at around 5500 here however on the Strawberry River, right below the Starvation Res dam. Lots of moisture in the air, COLD!!!

Back
Top Bottom