New Member from Southern California needs advise!!

AlmaB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Southern California
Hi, I bought 6 day old ducklings and I'm expecting delivery on may 6. Any advise on how to make a brooder. I also have 3 dogs and want to socialize them with the ducklings. My labrator retriever is 8 yrs old and when we brought a bunny in to the house she quickly Learned to leave him alone. I also have a 3 yr old Maltipoo that gets chase by the bunny and a 8 month old Boston terrier that mostly chases the bunny but never hurts him. If the bunny gets annoyed he would kick her so she knows when to back off. Any advise on how to socialized them with the ducklings would be greatly appreciated!!

Greetings from Kansas, AlmaB, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! Advice on the brooder - I'd use something waterproof - like a big tote. I also like to elevate their sleeping/eating half from their drinking/sloshing water all over creation and back half. Lay down some pieces of 2 x 4, them a piece of plywood, or paneling, or even cardboard. That way their bed stays dry at least.
I think if you rabbit-proofed your dog, duck proofing should be as easy. I just hold the little critter (chick, duckling, kitten) and let the dog sniff and even lick it gently, and then let them know they need to "leave it." Seems to work. The chocolate lab in my avatar loves my fowl - protects them from danger, ignores them all other times.
Make sure you check out the duck thread below! Good luck to you!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

welcome-byc.gif
Hope that you learn a lot from here oh and if you don't mind spending money you can buy a rabbit cage and that will house ducklings and chicks well and will keep them safe and warm.

best wishes to you and your flock,
chicklover1998
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom