New Member from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by busyteacher, Jul 31, 2011.

1. busyteacher

busyteacher Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to take a minute to introduce myself. I am not new to chickens as animals, but I am new to raising them for eggs. My dad is a contract grower so I grew up working in those houses. A year ago we decided to start raising chickens so that we could have fresh eggs. I started with 24 eggs in incubators in my classroom. *We were hatching eggs to study the life cycle of a chicken. Turns out all those birds are meat birds so we did the most humane thing we could and butchered them and canned the meat. We then purchased 11 hens and 1 rooster. The first night we didn't prepare well and lost two birds to an owl. After last nights raid by what we think was a bobcat we are down to 8 hens. We now have 1 Aracauna, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, and 3 Black Australorp. All our hens are laying and have great personalities.

I found this site through a search engine and have visited it from time to time but decided today would be a good day to join because I needed help with out predator situation. Although I do not know a whole lot maybe what we have learned through trial and error can help someone.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! I'm kind of a busy teacher myself and my summer is almost over! [​IMG] Glad to have you on the forum!

3. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC. Hope you enjoy the site and return often.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

Great info about predator-proofing here. Just search the forum!

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hi, from Big Bear Calif, always good to meet another feather brainier. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome to BYC! I'm so sorry for the loss of your chicks.[​IMG] It's very nice to meet you. Good luck securing the coop and I hope there are no more losses. I know a lot of people are happy with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I wished we would of used it for the run. My Hubby used welded wire with a chicken wire skirt along the bottom. We built our coop inside the garage which is very safe from predators when the doors are closed.

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry about your losses [​IMG] There's lots of great info on BYC about predator proofing.
    Good luck with your chickens [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] From NJ. Good luck with the predators--they are a constant problem.

9. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    [​IMG] from alabamayardbird

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by