New member from Wisconsin (and needing help...)

Hi!

Yes, there’s a problem! I bought 2 chicks yesterday, approximately 9 weeks old. She’d had them on medicated food, which I didn’t wish to continue after bringing them home.

I’d asked a natural group about them being on that feed for so long, if there might be a rebound or some sort of problem. Anything I’ve read/heard/experienced indicated that it is ok to switch to unmedicated. I’d done that with all the chicks I’d had before.

Got them home late yesterday afternoon, let them stay in the crate until they were comfortable coming out, about 5:30. They settled in nicely, eating, drinking, wandering around.

Well, this morning, there was blood in their enclosure. My first thought was that she’d eaten some of the litter, you know how they peck at everything, and it maybe abraded her intestines. Some looked like frank blood, some looked like a bit of feces in blood.

There was a bit more later, so I researched and of course came up with coccidia. It seems strange that there would be a problem within around 12 hours? Does that happen…?

I’ve looked all over for Corid, cannot find any at all; none of the farm stores or pet stores have it.

The only thing I could think to do was go out and buy some medicated feed…

So…not sure what to do. Of course all of the vets’ offices were closed today.

I’d really appreciate any thoughts on what to do!

Thanks,
Mary

Welcome to BYC. It does sound unusual for Coccidiosis to appear so quickly after changing feed.
Thanks! That's what I was wondering about! I saw where someone wrote in with the same type problem; it showed up after about 4 days, I think. Couldn't really find anything else to explain the bleeding. Haven't witnessed the pooping, so not sure which one it is and can't see anything on the feathers by her vent.

Back
Top Bottom