new member have four chickens

jburts

Songster
8 Years
Oct 13, 2014
I have one of my older chickens seems to be having a hard time pooping she eats and drinks sometimes she looks like she does not feel well and other times seems ok, any suggestions

What type of feed do you feed them?

How old is she?

Color of comb bright red or dull and pale?

When she poops, is it solid or liquid?

Have you checked the poop chart?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your hen! Definitely post in the Emergencies section for more help.

we don't know how old she is we got her three years ago and she laid eggs a little that summer and a little the next and then quit laying and she laid four eggs this summer,
she pooped a little in the nesting box, over night she quit roosting lays in box instead the last few nights.
when I first noticed it she was not herself pooh sticking to her feathers, she had real runny pooh to start with now it is firm again but maybe a little too firm, They free range in fenced back yard when I'm not at work.
I noticed that when she acts like she needs to pooh nothing happens,
I cleaned her up a few days ago did not notice anything different.
I have been watching her she still eats and drinks, and seems to feel alright and then acts sometimes like she does not feel good.
I feed them layer crumbles, they won't eat the pellets,
they also get meal worms,once a day in the morning, they have been eating apples that have fallen off the trees
they love fruit, have not given them too much fruit I cut them back due to real runny pooh with her.
I put probiotics in their water,
she is the hen in my picture she was a lost hen and that is how we ended up with her.
we lost one of ours and someone called and said they found a hen that looked like ours we kept her anyway. she is a good pet chicken.
she did get plucked by dog in June just the tummy feathers, this year we built new coup and put them in fenced back yard since
all feathers on her tummy have not grown back it is getting colder here in washington state, but not that cold,
60 during day now and upper 40's at night and 50's
this morning she seems fine, but she does fluff up her feathers more since cooler weather.
don't see any worms in pooh.
they eat lots of grubs in yard.

we don't know how old she is we got her three years ago and she laid eggs a little that summer and a little the next and then quit laying and she laid four eggs this summer,
she pooped a little in the nesting box, over night she quit roosting lays in box instead the last few nights.
when I first noticed it she was not herself pooh sticking to her feathers, she had real runny pooh to start with now it is firm again but maybe a little too firm, They free range in fenced back yard when I'm not at work.
I noticed that when she acts like she needs to pooh nothing happens,
I cleaned her up a few days ago did not notice anything different.
I have been watching her she still eats and drinks, and seems to feel alright and then acts sometimes like she does not feel good.
I feed them layer crumbles, they won't eat the pellets,
they also get meal worms,once a day in the morning, they have been eating apples that have fallen off the trees
they love fruit, have not given them too much fruit I cut them back due to real runny pooh with her.
I put probiotics in their water,
she is the hen in my picture she was a lost hen and that is how we ended up with her.
we lost one of ours and someone called and said they found a hen that looked like ours we kept her anyway. she is a good pet chicken.
she did get plucked by dog in June just the tummy feathers, this year we built new coup and put them in fenced back yard since
all feathers on her tummy have not grown back it is getting colder here in washington state, but not that cold,
60 during day now and upper 40's at night and 50's
this morning she seems fine, but she does fluff up her feathers more since cooler weather.
don't see any worms in pooh.
they eat lots of grubs in yard.
oh and her comb is red not pale

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your hen. Give her a quick over all exam. Start with checking for a stuck egg. Put on a latex glove and some KY Jelly or Vaseline in the index finger and gently insert your finger into her vent. Go straight back. If there is a stuck egg, you will feel it within the first 2 inches or so. If she is egg bound, check out this article on getting that egg to move out...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

First thing tomorrow morning, check her crop. It should be completely empty. If it is not, then there is an issue. Is it hard or soft? Hard would indicate an impaction either in the crop or gizzard or both. So no food for 24 hours. Water only. You can give her 2 Dulcolax gel caps one in the morning, one in the evening to help move the impactions. If you can't get it down her throat, you can squeeze out the juice and drizzle it over a tiny bit of hard boiled eggs. Just make sure gets all the gel.

If the crop is soft and squishy, she may have a slow or sour crop. You will need to vomit her. Hold her like a football, beak forward, in one arm and support her with the other hand at the crop. Lean forward, completely down, tail up. Massage and gently squeeze the crop. The MOMENT the fluid starts to come up, count to 2 or 3 and stand back up so she can breath. Don't go longer than 2 or 3 seconds so you don't aspirate her. Give her a moment to catch her breath and do it again. Get as much out as you can, although you will never get it all out. This stuff is poison and can kill her. Then do not let her eat anything but some damp feed. No hard seeds or grass. Just damp layer feed. Keep this up for a few days and the crop should start to move on it's own. If the breath smells, you may need to add an anti fungal.

But in the meantime, post this in our emergency section too. Lots more input can be found there.

Good luck and I hope you can get her healed up soon.

her crop seems to be a little hard will try the Dulcolax and see how that works,
thanks
she does not seem to be egg bound,that I can tell

Back
Top Bottom