New Member, Hello from Oklahoma:)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ajr, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ajr

ajr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Been using BYC for about a year and a half for loads of information. I found BYC when looking for chicken info on the internet.
    Decided I ought to go ahead and join.

We live in the south central part of Oklahoma. Got started on chickens a year and a half ago when my husband's friend gave us a partially blind old mixed breed rooster. Well, of course you can't have a rooster without some hens so my teenage son and husband went to a trade and bought two hens. (I still haven't been able to find what breed they are.) I fell in love with the chicken hobby and since then we have hatched fifteen chicks, been given eight roosters and five hens, been given seven white leghorn pullets, bought five more hens, and been given a guinea. We have also lost four roosters and three hens to predators (obviously I don't let them free range anymore), one hen to a freak accident, and one hen just recently to an unknown cause. They are all mixed breed except the leghorns and the first two hens (but like I said I don't know what they are). My biggest challenge has been creating the coops and pens since they can't free range due to predators. Since we were given so many roosters we have to keep several pens to keep the peace. Going to have to cut back on the rooster population (at least five of my chicks are roosters.)

I also have three children, one old great pyrenese, two mutts, one weimereiner pup, and five cats.

Thanks for sharing all the great information!

ajr

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] from Indiana!

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Welcome to BYC!!!!

(From another Okie!)

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

[​IMG] from Texas!

6. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Welcome to BYC,. in far North Okc here......come chat with us okies in okieinbyc thread !

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Welcome from Western Washington [​IMG]

8. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    [​IMG]

9. catfish/okie

catfish/okie Chillin' With My Peeps