New member here. Cleveland, Ohio. Need advice about my sick chicken.

Crazychickenlady73

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2022
Hello, I need advice about my sick Amberlyn hen. She has prolapsing vent, and has yellow to light brown diareah. I gave her Sulfa meds in her water for 7 days, but it didn't work. She is still sick. She sways her head back n forth at times, but still has appetite. She doesn't walk like a penguin, but continues to try to push out her vent to where its prolapsing. Gave her bath in Epsom salt. Didn't seem to help. Her crop is mushy. Its full at night. But can't tell in the morning cuz I gotta get to work in the morning. She recently is breathing heavy. That's a new symptom. I think she has respiratory infection along with reproduction infection. She did lay lash egg. My husband will not allow me to take to vet. I took another amberlyn to vet for oviduct infection and cost us $270. So...my question is, does she need antibiotics? My husband wants to cull her. I am afraid for the rest of the flock.

Hello, I need advice about my sick Amberlyn hen. She has prolapsing vent, and has yellow to light brown diareah. I gave her Sulfa meds in her water for 7 days, but it didn't work. She is still sick. She sways her head back n forth at times, but still has appetite. She doesn't walk like a penguin, but continues to try to push out her vent to where its prolapsing. Gave her bath in Epsom salt. Didn't seem to help. Her crop is mushy. Its full at night. But can't tell in the morning cuz I gotta get to work in the morning. She recently is breathing heavy. That's a new symptom. I think she has respiratory infection along with reproduction infection. She did lay lash egg. My husband will not allow me to take to vet. I took another amberlyn to vet for oviduct infection and cost us $270. So...my question is, does she need antibiotics? My husband wants to cull her. I am afraid for the rest of the flock.
Are you able to separate her from the others and focus on everything you can glean from her behavior? Do they have like support garments you could put on her so her prolapse won’t be able to prolapse? Would antibiotics hurt? I’m not sure, but I had A chicken that looked like she was going to the other side, my husband gave her antibiotics, and never an issue since. I hope you get some answers here and I hope for the best for you and your hen.

Welcome to BYC! I’m sorry about your hen.

Do you have photos of your hen and her vent?

Is the prolapsed tissue going back in or has it remained prolapsed for 7 days?

If she has passed lash material, then she has Salpingitis which is an inflammation of the oviduct. Antibiotics may help with the inflammation and infection for a period of time depending on how advanced it is.
The crop not emptying is a symptom of the inflammation. It's not uncommon for that to happen.
Breathing heavy could be due to the inflammation as well. Sometimes there's also fluid in the abdomen that can cause some difficulty breathing or even lash material in the abdomen too. Hard to know exactly unless you lose her and examine the internals or send the body for necropsy.

If the tissue is staying out and exposed, then you will want to keep it from drying out. Anti-inflammatory cream, honey or similar can be used on the exposed tissue.

Sadly, sometimes putting a hen out of her misery is best, but only you can make that call for her.

Here's some reading about Salpingitis
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

Back
Top Bottom