New member here. Finally took the leap.

trinak

Hatching
Jul 28, 2016
Long time lurker alert. I've been coming here for a few years ever since my dad took it upon himself to order some ducks through a catalog. Went to the post office to pick up my parents' mail for them and SURPRISE! Box full of ducklings. We didn't have great luck with that first batch and we quickly learned that my dad's no attachment method of raising ducks was a bad idea, hahaha. Since then we've added 6 more ducks, another drake, and two roosters to the flock thanks to my sister and her experiments. She was very determined to see if she could hatch eggs and she was very successful for a first timer.

I'm a caregiver for my mom so I'm the one around all the time to keep an eye on my parents. Since my dad's hands off approach to duck care didn't pan out I've taken over the duties of caring for these little rascals. We've had our fair share of loss. Since last year we've gone from 20 ducks to 9 thanks in part to a ferocious raccoon. I'm hoping things get better from here but I always have that George Carlin bit in the back of my head...Every pet is a tragedy waiting to happen. Sure enough yesterday was my worst yet. My sweet rooster, Phil, passed away while sitting next to me on the couch. I brought him in after finding him in the yard on his back. After some intense nursing I thought he would pull through. He seemed to be doing better and then BAM! he started convulsing, slumped forward and he was gone. I've been a wreck ever since.

That sadness led me here today looking for answers and maybe a little solace. I've always found helpful advice here but was nervous to jump in and become a member. Finally decided it was time because even after 2 years of looking after ducks and my roosters I'm still an amateur and could use the help. I've grown very attached to all of these guys and gals. Houdini, Napoleon, Socrates, and Harpo especially. They travel with me when I go back to California for visits. Harpo's sisters Groucho, Zeppo, and Chico got attached to Scarface and Nox, our last two remaining drakes from that original batch. Carlos watches over them all. Breaks my heart that his brother didn't make it. That's my story. Now excuse me while I go cry my eyes out again. I have a feeling I'm going to be wearing red and puffy for a little bit longer.

Oh dear! So sorry for your loss! I have a friend close by that just lost her silkie girl today. So much sadness. :( As I just mentioned in another post here..that chickens are the pleasant surprise in my life. They really can bring happiness into our lives. I can't have ducks..I wish! Pretty cute little things. I haven't ever had a chicken pass in front of me..baby chicks that I've had just hatch, but not one that I've had for a while. I hope you feel better sooner than later.
hugs.gif

Greetings from Kansas, trinak, and :welcome. Sorry you're going through a rough stretch right now. Hopefully you'll make some connections on BYC that can help you with your grief. There are a lot of really good folks on the forums. Best wishes.:)

Thank you Cynthia and redsoxs. I really appreciate the support. Didn't expect it to hit me so hard but I guess I wouldn't have known how it'd affect me until it happened. I definitely plan to do some exploring on here and try to make a few connections. The toughest thing has been not knowing other people who keep ducks and chickens. I'm kind of an oddball in that respect among my circle of friends. I was never a pet person before but I love my ducks! They are too funny. Dealing with the mess they make is another story though, hahaha.

Back
Top Bottom