New member here!

rothfarm2000

Chirping
Jul 22, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
Hello Everyone!

New member, well fairly new, been lurking for quite some time. Thought it best I introduce myself and start asking some questions of our members and sharing some pics :).

I'm probably considered fairly new to chickens. I have had my girls for a little over a year.

I have 5 hens...2 Austalorp (Gretchen and Ophrah), 1 speckled sussex (Speckles), 1 easter egger (Easter) and 1 one mottled java (Mocha). I admit I wasn't the cleverest with names.

I also have 2 blue langshan chicks about 6 weeks old. I think one is a roo, but that is a topic for a thread I need to post :). If one is a roo, then the names will be Bonnie and Clyde, but I haven't decided on names until I know for sure.

I found this site by researching about my chickens and their care. This site is great, I love the wealth of info and the helpfulness of members.

So, a bit of background for my chicken setup. We live in the country, have a little over an acre. The girls get to roam during the day. They are closed up in their pen at night as we have all kinds of predators out here. They have a nice pen with a couple houses. My husband built me a nice coop for them. We have added an addition to their coop since the photo as they all need to sleep side by side, I need to get some photos taken :)

All my girls are pretty friendly and come when I call them, but they also know that I'm the bearer of food and treats :) They are pretty good layers, especially Easter, I get a nice green egg almost every day from her!

Thank you for reading my intro.
Colette

Girls.jpg

Girls 2.jpg

Coop.jpg

Lovely flock, grounds, coop and runs. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the chicken(poultry) wire around your run, will never keep out predators. They can slice through it like butter. Also they can dig under or move the paving blocks. Fox, Coyote, Raccoons are strong & determined enough to do so.

Chicken wire is only meant to keep chickens IN, it cannot keep predators OUT.
The gold standard of wire fencing is 1/2 hardware cloth tightly affixed to framing. Trees provide shade and also a jumping down' benefit' to Owls, Hawks and raccoons.

You might want to check out the predator threads for more information on keeping the bad guys out.

Lovely flock, grounds, coop and runs. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the chicken(poultry) wire around your run, will never keep out predators. They can slice through it like butter. Also they can dig under or move the paving blocks. Fox, Coyote, Raccoons are strong & determined enough to do so.

Chicken wire is only meant to keep chickens IN, it cannot keep predators OUT.
The gold standard of wire fencing is 1/2 hardware cloth tightly affixed to framing. Trees provide shade and also a jumping down' benefit' to Owls, Hawks and raccoons.

You might want to check out the predator threads for more information on keeping the bad guys out.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom