1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New member, how do I get my chicken to use the coop?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickstina, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Chickstina

Chickstina New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    My husband and I just built a chicken coop for the one hen that we have it is 2x4 in size and 2 feet above ground. How do I get her to go in there ?i put her in there and she flew out and went back in the tree where she has been sleeping. Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    You'll probably have to put her in there and close her in for a few days if she's used to roosting outside. Does she have any flockmates? Chickens are social and don't usually do well without others. Is there a run attached to the coop? That size seems a little on the small size to me. If you had a run attached to the coop, she could go in and out and you wouldn't have to worry about her flying off to her tree, but she could still get sunshine, fresh air, and find bugs and things to munch on.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chickens are flock animals and don't like to be alone. She will be much happier with chicken friends. Sleeping in trees is the best way to get eaten by owls or other predators. Birds do not like to move in the dark so they are sitting ducks. It's also a great time for you to catch her and put her on the roost in your coop at and close the door. If you leave her in the coop for a couple of days (with food and water), she should imprint on that as her home.

Do you intend to get more chickens or just have her?

4. Chickstina

Chickstina New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    We are going to get another hen soon, she is a free range chicken . So no there isn't a run attached to her coop.

5. Chickstina

Chickstina New Egg

Oct 4, 2015
    Yes we are going to get another hen soon. Thank you

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

You're going to need a bigger coop if you plan on getting more chickens, chickens hate to feel crowded and will resort to all sorts of bad behavior if they are. Is it possible for you to enlarge the coop before you add any more birds?

8. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by