New member in Ireland

lulubell15

Songster
6 Years
Dec 12, 2015
County Offaly, Ireland.

[Hello everyone. I am relatively new to keeping chickens, but whenever i needed info about them I would turn to BYC. I started with 6 hens just to have a nice supply of fresh eggs for ourselves & nearby family. After adding another 3, one hen went broody so i acquired some fertile eggs from a neighbour, just to see what would happen, if anything. Two hatched out of 5 & have come on really well. I had no idea how to sex them except wait to see if they laid eggs or crowed. My other half said if they not laying then they're on the plate. I joined yesterday so I could put up a picture to see if anyone could help me identify the birds, but this morning we heard them for the first time. I did have my suspicions because at 6 months they are way bigger than the other birds, & had the Cockerell look. I'm a bit sad now, why didn't they just keep their beaks shut.
Even though this has solved itself, I'm sure I will be consulting your members for future expert assistance.

Welcome! If crowing is an issue you can always get a no crow collar. If post some pictures I can tell you if there roosters or not.

[Hello everyone. I am relatively new to keeping chickens, but whenever i needed info about them I would turn to BYC. I started with 6 hens just to have a nice supply of fresh eggs for ourselves & nearby family. After adding another 3, one hen went broody so i acquired some fertile eggs from a neighbour, just to see what would happen, if anything. Two hatched out of 5 & have come on really well. I had no idea how to sex them except wait to see if they laid eggs or crowed. My other half said if they not laying then they're on the plate. I joined yesterday so I could put up a picture to see if anyone could help me identify the birds, but this morning we heard them for the first time. I did have my suspicions because at 6 months they are way bigger than the other birds, & had the Cockerell look. I'm a bit sad now, why didn't they just keep their beaks shut.
Even though this has solved itself, I'm sure I will be consulting your members for future expert assistance.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock. If you have any questions just ask and we'll help answer them.This is a rooster. As for breed I don't know.

Thanks everyone for the comments & advice. I don't think he'll be around long enough for a collar & i am going to have to toughen up to losing them one way or another. My other half wants to raise a couple of pigs & lambs for the freezer. That's going to be hard to cope with for me, but I'll get there.
For now I'm just enjoyinglooking after my few chucks.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock.My wife and I visited Ireland for our 37th wedding anniversary and loved your beautiful countryside. At some point over the next few years, we would like to take our granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) for a visit to Ireland. The bird in your pic is definitely a cockerel. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom