New member in Michigan

tjbeckman

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
Millington, MI
Hi all, I am just joining the group. I live in Millington, MI with my fiance, step daughter, 6 dogs, a cat, and four horses. We are now talking about getting into chickens. I had Rhode Island Reds as a kid. Debating what breed to get involved with. We want something that is hearty enough for our Michigan winters, a good layer, and tolerates being played with. Since we live in town, our horses live at a friends house. She has plenty of property but also runs a daycare center. The kids are looking forward to seeing the birds and being able to pet and hold them. Two of my younger sisters (9 and 11) are hoping to show chickens at the county fair this year. Any advice you are willing to give would be great!
Thanks! Can't wait to hear from you all!
TJ

Greetings from Kansas, TJ, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! Best of luck when you take the chicken plunge!

welcome-byc.gif

Lots of great winter birds to think about. RIR are supposed to be good, I am your southern neighbor here. Buckeyes are a great winter dual purpose bird. There are lots of choices, pea combs like easter eggers are great too. The breed section has a lot of information that I think you will find helpful. I have a great mix of birds, and all have done well in the winter.

I hear that Barred Rocks are very hardy, and I have nothing bad to say about the roosters.
welcome-byc.gif
so glad you joined!
If you're looking for a good thread, I recommend this to anyone: (Why can't i copy the link?!) Search "Derperella" and click the first thread. (Warning: it's 200 pages) Best. Chicken. Ever.

I am worried about getting a RIR rooster. I had one that hated me as a kid LOL I will keep looking at that section and see what shows up : )

NovaAman-Thanks I will check into that thread and breed :)
CQ- a friend of mine has a few BR, one of the hens lived with our horses, I think it just liked the grain lol I will check out that thread : )

Thanks again everyone!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom