New member in Northern Michigan

DML100

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 13, 2012
Dear Backyard Chicken group,
I have visited BYC website many times, and would now like to join. I like the new website. I have raised chickens and pheasants for the last three years, and have enjoyed this hobby. I currently have 24 chickens of the following breeds: Welsummers, Cuckoo Marans, Ameraucanas, Black Penedesencas, Silver Campines and a pair of Mille Fleur d'Uccle Bantams. I hatch out some of my own eggs each year and also raise Cornish Rocks to stock our freezer for the winter.

I built a well insulated chicken coop with my wife that has performed well in our cold winters in Northern Michigan. I have several yards, so I can rotate the chickens into yards with greens like wheat or rye. The chicken manure goes back into our garden. In the warmer months we also raise turnip greens and kale, and the chickens enjoy these greens in addition to the surplus from the garden.

The chickens have been a good educational experience for my son, and we enjoy looking at the hatchery catalogs over winter, as we decide what types of chickens we will try next.

Sincerely,

Dana LeBlanc
Northern Michigan

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom