New member in So Cal

hopegrowsgardens

In the Brooder
Feb 25, 2021
Hello,

I am a new member of the forum in Southern California.

Although we had chickens many years ago, our most recent flock is brand new. Like a lot of people, when Covid struck, we decided that we were ready to have chickens again to help support our family and friends.

We have 14 chickens ranging in age from 6 months to 7 years old (a friend needed a place for her retired ladies). Except for the retirees (one lays every so often), they are all officially laying as of today. Except for the retirees, they are all named after the dragons from the How to Train Your Dragon franchise (movies not books).

From youngest to oldest (with egg color), we have two easter eggers (blue), one California White (white), two leghorns (white eggs), one black maran (dark brown), two Australorps (light brown - rescues from an older man), one Buff Orpington (brown), two production blues (brown), one Brahma (brown), one fluffy pants Australorp cross of some sort (none), and one Swedish cross of some type (really cool gray brown, but only has laid two).

Our favorite part of raising them is being able to share the eggs and the egg color variety. Other than that, they come racing across the yard whenever I step outside, my beagle-mix thinks he is a chicken, and my son loves them.

My other hobbies include gardening, baking, writing, and fruit trees.

Our family consists of five people (one not at home). We have four dogs, chickens (of course), rats, and fish.

Thanks for having me!

Back
Top Bottom