New member in the PNW

Tervish

Songster
Jul 8, 2020
SW WA, PNW
Hi everyone! I think I will use this handy template to get started here...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, new to chickens as of 3 weeks ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? What breeds do you have?

Seven chicks bought from the farm store. 3 Speckled Sussex, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Australorp, 1 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte.

I knew there was a chance of getting roosters, and indeed I am sure the Silver Wyandotte is a rooster. Jury is still out on the Australorp lol. But I really don't want to keep the rooster! And I don't know that many others want roosters either. I don't know what to do with him.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

They are so much fun to watch, and I love the sounds adult hens make. I had an uncle with chickens that I was fascinated by as a child lol. Now I have my own!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Training and showing dogs, gardening, reading. Building a new chicken coop is about to be my newest hobby.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I just recently retired so no job. Retirement is amazing and I do not miss working. I have one dog at this time, and she is being overly interested in the chicks but we are working on that. My husband is being roped into the new coop construction project ;-)

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I was searching online for several chicken topics (roosts, chick care, etc) and found these forums with all their great information. This looks like a good community!

The rooster in question...

Attachments

• CB9FDF48-4D5A-454A-BBBB-B83C97ABFA56_1_201_a.jpeg
    CB9FDF48-4D5A-454A-BBBB-B83C97ABFA56_1_201_a.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 7
hello @Tervish - welcome to BYC :frow

That sounds like a lovely flock. You may need to wait a little longer to confirm genders of chicks.
I don't know what to do with him.
I wouldn't prejudge any roos - they can turn out nice, and useful for the flock. Alternatively, many people on here eat surplus roosters from a brood.
Enjoy them growing up - it will pass surprisingly quickly!

Back
Top Bottom