NEW MEMBER-- INJURED CHICKEN NOT EATING MUCH! PLEASE HELP!

caronfarm

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
My puppy went after our chicken last saturday and we thought her neck was broken. At this point I don't think it is, but there is something wrong. She hasn't been eating or drinking a whole heck of a lot, unless I try to help her and encourage her. Sunday she didn't eat at all, yesterday she ate some bread soaked in water 1/2 slice and has been drinking occasionally. Today Tuesday, she hasn't really eaten much at all. I have tried tomatoes, worms, i ground up her chicken food to make it easier, and bread. I don't want her to starve to death. What can I do???? How long can they go without food?

I need advice FAST!!

Last edited:
Try wetting her food with a little water to make an oatmeal-like paste, and try raw or scrambled egg. She may have internal injuries or be sore.

I did that with the bread and she was eating it yesterday, today nothing. How long can they go without eating less than what they are used to? Tomorrow will be day 4. I don't want her to starve herself. She is one of my favorites. :(
I am trying to get her to take small bites of anything throughout the day.

You can try tube feeding her. The are instructions if you search at the top of the page. She will have greenish stools if she is starving. Is her crop empty? She mayhave injuries preventing her from eating.

She hasn't been pooping much. I saw her poop the first time yesterday twice. Not green.
I don't know what you mean when you say "crop empty"?
She has eaten little bites of bread that were soaked in water. And she drinks when I give it to her.

I have seen them eat broken shells so I thought I'd give it a whirl. I hope this works!! Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom