New member intro.

jwyles

Crossing the Road
May 8, 2017
Louisiana
Hi I'm new to the site as well as new to raising chickens. I have a small mixed flock in my backyard and am learning as I go. I've got 9 chicks ages 3-5 weeks (this makes up my entire flock). I started as a hobby for my girls and myself but I'd also like some eggs out of it. In my flock of chicks I have 3 EE, 1 SF light brahma, 2 brahma bantams (1 light & 1 buff), 2 Cochin bantams-1 red frizzle 1 black and gold with mottling (I've got questions about her coloring), & 1 buff silkie. I can only keep pullets so I'll be asking advice in another forum regarding gender ID as well. Looking forward to some info & advice!

Hi and welcome.
You and your girls should enjoy this a lot.
Except for the EEs, the rest aren't particularly productive unless you can keep them from going broody.
Most are very friendly and docile breeds so I guess that was what you were looking for.

I was raised with chickens for eggs. I got into chickens the last time for the manure. Eggs were secondary. After over 30 breeds, now I'm breeding an extremely rare breed.
Be careful, it is addictive.

Yes I'm already hooked. I did choose carefully for breeds that were friendly as my girls are young. I am hoping that my SF brahma will contribute as well. If not at least she'll be eye candy. Thank you for replying. I've been sitting here wondering if I'd done something wrong and my posts weren't visible. I've posted in 3 forums and this is the first reply I've gotten. Thank you!

Yes I'm already hooked. I did choose carefully for breeds that were friendly as my girls are young. I am hoping that my SF brahma will contribute as well. If not at least she'll be eye candy. Thank you for replying. I've been sitting here wondering if I'd done something wrong and my posts weren't visible. I've posted in 3 forums and this is the first reply I've gotten. Thank you!

I'm glad I was able to put your mind at ease. You may find some difficulty this week since the site is changing software and there will be a few days that are read only with no posting possible.

Those feather legged birds are eye candy. How many chickens are you allowed to have?

Oh maybe that's the problem! Good to know. There's really no city ordinance in place that I can find. Is a small town and most everyone keeps small backyard flocks even in town with the understanding of keeping it quiet and small. I even know a few who keep roosters but I don't intend to. The pic is of my fave chick. A Cochin bantam. I'm just curious about her color/ feather pattern. Isn't this odd to be mottled with the gold and black?

Last edited:
I'm glad I was able to put your mind at ease. You may find some difficulty this week since the site is changing software and there will be a few days that are read only with no posting possible.

Those feather legged birds are eye candy. How many chickens are you allowed to have?

Sometimes people don't respond because they just don't have an answer. You can also post photos at "what breed or gender is this." Please do mention age at time of photo, it is very important in making decisions.
welcome-byc.gif

Sometimes people don't respond because they just don't have an answer.  You can also post photos at  "what breed or gender is this."  Please do mention age at time of photo, it is very important in  making decisions.:welcome

I've done that twice actually. That's why I'm wondering if I may be doing something wrong. I would really appreciate it if someone who sees thread would be willing to try and view my other posts if there's an easy way to go about it. I've posted in "what breed gender is this" and "bantam Cochin club".

I even went back and added a reply asking anyone to reply just letting me know if they can see it and I got no reply. What could I be doing wrong?
1f914.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom