New Member Intro

Kevin J

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2020
Gonzales, LA
Hello my name is Kevin.

I do not have any chickens yet, I’m trying to learn a lot more about chickens before I just go out and buy some.

Not sure what breeds are best for South Louisiana. I’m in forced retirement from truck driving due to Leukemia (which I am in full recovery from my bone marrow transplant. So I would like to learn to raise chickens (for breeding and edible eggs).

Other hobbies are shooting guns and watching movies.

My wife and I are now empty nesters, since my baby girl is 18 and moved off to college. So our baby now is our 6 y/o 5lb Yorky name LuLu LaRue.
I find BYC on Pinterest. I have read a few articles on BYC forum from Pinterest and I decided to join.

Hello, Kevin, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm glad to read your Leukemia is in full remission. Enjoy your retirement. Chickens are a great hobby for retirement.
Some advice: build your coop with TONS of ventilation for your hot weather. Search for open air coop designs. Then make it twice as big as you think you'll need because, in all seriousness, chicken math is real. Especially for retired folks with time on their hands. Keep reading up on the various breeds you think you'll want and how to provide proper nutrition and a safe, secure home for them and you will have years of enjoyment from keeping them.

Back
Top Bottom