New Member Intro

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by melissasz, Jun 8, 2011.

1. melissasz

melissasz New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi Everyone
    - As of today we are the proud owner of thirty Red-Stars. So far everything is going well but it is very hot and my brooder is up to 95 or a bit above. It doesn't seem to be bothering them. I shut it off for awhile while I cleaned the water tank and when I turned it on again they all made a bee line for it. It's supposed to cool down during the night to about 59. It's 71 right now. Should I put the brooder light down a little lower before bedtime? Or should I get up during the night and check on them.

Thanks,

Dave, Melissa
    and kids

2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome! they should be at the same temp all day and go down 5 degrees each week.

4. melissasz

melissasz New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome and the reply. Do you have your brooder light on a thermostat?

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

6. melissasz

melissasz New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi We are in Maine:)

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. I hang my heat lamp over the brooder. I lay a thermometer on the floor under the lamp. Then I raise or lower the lamp when needed. What kind of brooder heat are your using? [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. melissasz

melissasz New Egg

Jun 3, 2011
    Hi,

I'm using a heat bulb? I put our thermometer on the wall touching the ground up but I will move it to the floor underneath the light.
    We had kind of a strange night. It was 90 in the brooder at 2am. At 5am it was only 80. I dropped the light down a few inches and the temp is creeping back up. The chicks didn't seem to mind. When I dropped the light down they didn't run to huddle under it. (They ran to have a drink of water.)
    I feel like a new mom. I think the only time I actually slept was from 2 to 5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by