New Member Intro

melissasz

Chirping
Jun 3, 2011
Hi Everyone
- As of today we are the proud owner of thirty Red-Stars. So far everything is going well but it is very hot and my brooder is up to 95 or a bit above. It doesn't seem to be bothering them. I shut it off for awhile while I cleaned the water tank and when I turned it on again they all made a bee line for it. It's supposed to cool down during the night to about 59. It's 71 right now. Should I put the brooder light down a little lower before bedtime? Or should I get up during the night and check on them.

Thanks,

Dave, Melissa
and kids

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. I hang my heat lamp over the brooder. I lay a thermometer on the floor under the lamp. Then I raise or lower the lamp when needed. What kind of brooder heat are your using?
thumbsup.gif

Hi,

I'm using a heat bulb? I put our thermometer on the wall touching the ground up but I will move it to the floor underneath the light.
We had kind of a strange night. It was 90 in the brooder at 2am. At 5am it was only 80. I dropped the light down a few inches and the temp is creeping back up. The chicks didn't seem to mind. When I dropped the light down they didn't run to huddle under it. (They ran to have a drink of water.)
I feel like a new mom. I think the only time I actually slept was from 2 to 5.

Back
Top Bottom