(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
— I am new, yes! A bantum hen and silkie-appearing roo made their way into my yard. None of the neighbors in my area have chickens, so I kept them. Hen made a nest in my laundry room. I built her and her mate a coop, and it’s been off from there.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
— I have 2 adults, 1 chick, and 3 hatchlings expected soon!

(3) What breeds do you have?
— at the moment, im not sure. I have a black with white “highlights” bantum hen, and a white/yellow-tinted silkie appearing roo. Not sure of breed of bantum, but I’m near certain roo is a silkie.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
— my hen, when not Broody, is a total cuddler and I LOVE it. I love chicks, the fun, the flock experience/being followed around the yard (and even the attempts to follow me into the house. 😂) I have always loved birds, but I never knew I would grow to love chickens of all things!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
— I write short stories, songs, and novels in my free time. I am also a very avid reader, and I enjoy video games. I am however a mom of 4, so I stay pretty busy. Free time is rare!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
— My name is Sierra. I also have a Quaker parrot (although I’ve had many over my life, all were older in age and have passed on) betta fish, and a dog. I am 23 y/o residing in NC. I have 3 sons and a daughter. Sons are 8, 4, & 3. My daughter will be 6 m/o on the 4th of April. I am a SAHM. I have plans to go back to school soon, though! I am newly engaged, but we have yet to set a date. So lord of exciting things in the future!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
— after googling a gazillion chicken questions, BYC kept popping up. So I joined! There’s an answer for nearly every question I have. I joined because I love to learn, and I am very careful to give my family (human, furry, scaley, and feathery alike) the very best!

I look forward to meeting and interacting with all of my new chicken-loving friends! :D
Welcome to the wonderful world of backyard chickens, Sierra!

Thank you for sharing your story with us, and I look forward to hearing more about your chicken adventures! If you have any questions or need any advice, feel free to ask the amazing BYC community, we are always happy to help!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
— I am new, yes! A bantum hen and silkie-appearing roo made their way into my yard. None of the neighbors in my area have chickens, so I kept them. Hen made a nest in my laundry room. I built her and her mate a coop, and it’s been off from there.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
— I have 2 adults, 1 chick, and 3 hatchlings expected soon!

(3) What breeds do you have?
— at the moment, im not sure. I have a black with white “highlights” bantum hen, and a white/yellow-tinted silkie appearing roo. Not sure of breed of bantum, but I’m near certain roo is a silkie.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
— my hen, when not Broody, is a total cuddler and I LOVE it. I love chicks, the fun, the flock experience/being followed around the yard (and even the attempts to follow me into the house. 😂) I have always loved birds, but I never knew I would grow to love chickens of all things!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
— I write short stories, songs, and novels in my free time. I am also a very avid reader, and I enjoy video games. I am however a mom of 4, so I stay pretty busy. Free time is rare!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
— My name is Sierra. I also have a Quaker parrot (although I’ve had many over my life, all were older in age and have passed on) betta fish, and a dog. I am 23 y/o residing in NC. I have 3 sons and a daughter. Sons are 8, 4, & 3. My daughter will be 6 m/o on the 4th of April. I am a SAHM. I have plans to go back to school soon, though! I am newly engaged, but we have yet to set a date. So lord of exciting things in the future!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
— after googling a gazillion chicken questions, BYC kept popping up. So I joined! There’s an answer for nearly every question I have. I joined because I love to learn, and I am very careful to give my family (human, furry, scaley, and feathery alike) the very best!

I look forward to meeting and interacting with all of my new chicken-loving friends! :D
Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom