New Member Introduction - Hello from Ranch EverAwesome!

RanchEverAwesome

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
Ranch Ever Awesome bee yard with Baker.jpeg

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
About 6 years ago, it started out with "Grand Chickens and Grand Ducks" that belonged to my daughter (aka: The Chicken Whisperer), which I "inherited" last year when her family purchased a place of their own and moved away from our family property.
So, technically, while I have been around chickens for several years, I am about 1 year into being totally responsible.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
We have 11 hens and two ducks.

(3) What breeds do you have?
2 Black Marans, 1 Black Copper Maran, 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Barred Plymouth Rock, 2 Rhode Island Red, 2 Australorp (Plus...1 Swedish duck hen and 1 Mallard hen)
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I never knew chickens could be so interesting. Each has such a unique personality and several are super sweet and loving. Egg-math doesn't work out for the cost of feed and treats, but the joy of watching the girls do their thing around the property is totally worth it.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Beekeeping, Vegetable and Flower gardening, maker of Botanical ink and natural paint from collected pigments, rock hounding, kayaking, fishing, art (all types), and interior design, to name a few...(Writing that out makes it sound like I am retired, I'm not. ☺️)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I am a full-time Realtor for the past 25 years serving in leadership roles in my industry and in my community. I live with my husband, our two dogs, three barn cats, 11 chickens, 2 ducks, and about 200,000 honey bees (two colonies) on 14 gorgeous acres in the beautiful Pacific Northwest which we call HOME. We are located right in the very top NW corner of the contiguous United States, about 15 minutes from the Canadian border, within a few minutes of Puget Sound, which overlooks a beautiful river valley, the Cascade Mountain Range, and a stunning glacier-covered volcano called Mt. Baker.
We call our place, Ranch Ever Awesome.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I have been finding answers to my chicken questions on your site through Google searches.

Back
Top Bottom