new member introduction need lots of help!

ourrune

Chirping
May 20, 2015
Palm bay fl
Hello im leah! So im new to the chiclen world all together as well as this site. Though ive used this site a lot to read about my new "pullets" i just bought 3 off of craigslist from a seemingly trustworthy woman. They were supposed to be 99% female and was told i got 2 speckled sussex (brown layers) and one salmon Faverolle (Pink layers). Well i got them at 4 weeks which is perfect age for us since we werent set for a brooder And they are in a temp set up now until my hubby and i finish the purina mills coop and run. My problem is being uneducated with chickens i just took 3 she gave me without looking and went. I didnt know what to look for after all expect my SIL said make sure their butts are pink and healthy. Well its a week later and pretty sure i have a roo From the threads on this site. Very disappointed because i was excited to have sussex for my kids, the one that i know is a pullet is our favorite she loves to be held and will sleep on our laps. The salmon Faverolle will bite at us and the roo sussex wont allow us to pick him up. Or does his best at it. No one else around has any sussex and not sure what to do with this roo we dont have room for him. I figured that brred being friendly and good for pets was a plus while being a good layer for our family because we intend to give our ch icks lots of loving! ! Never realized how much personality chickens (or roosters) have!

I'm new at this. Got 6 rir. They were 1-2 weeks when I got them. They are now 10-11 weeks. We have put colored zip ties on them to tell them apart and know who's doing what. They have a small coop inside a 6'x10' dog run with cover. I have some pecking problems and have to use "pick-no-more". It works pretty good. Because of the color coding we know who is doing it. I love my girls. My grand son likes to throw earth worms in and watch the ensuing chicken run.

Still trying to use this site. I am moving to zachary and want to buy Barred Rock and a few other laying hens. Can someone give me a # that sells. Thanks

zachary what area are you from?

Pammy what do they eat? Picking can be just plain behavioral issues or it can be their diet. Do you have stuff for them to do and keep busy in the run? Do they always stay in the run or do you let them free range?

I can't let them out because of one of the dogs. They are getting a growing feed. I also give veggies and a little scratch for treat. Once a week I put half a flake of alfalfa. They go crazy and love to scratch in it. The pecking is a habit I think they had when I got them. As long as I keep on it they do good. Sometimes I sit out there and everytime the one chicken, "thelma" starts to pick I hit the fence. She knows too. She will look at me and stop. She has gotten a lot better.

welcome-byc.gif

I can't let them out because of one of the dogs. They are getting a growing feed. I also give veggies and a little scratch for treat. Once a week I put half a flake of alfalfa. They go crazy and love to scratch in it. The pecking is a habit I think they had when I got them. As long as I keep on it they do good. Sometimes I sit out there and everytime the one chicken, "thelma" starts to pick I hit the fence. She knows too. She will look at me and stop. She has gotten a lot better.

I hope you can convince her to stop. It sounds like they should be pretty occupied.
I have heard of people using/making chicken swings, you could try it. Do you have roosts in the run? You could just grab some branches and stick them in a few spots.

I hope you can convince her to stop.  It sounds like they should be pretty occupied.
I have heard of people using/making chicken swings, you could try it.  Do you have roosts in the run?  You could just grab some branches and stick them in a few spots.

Back
Top Bottom