New Member Introduction

alevr

Chirping
Nov 25, 2021
Southern Texas
Hi my name is Amanda. I am a new chicken and duck mom. I’ve always wanted ducks and at 25 I finally got some. I have 9 chickens and 5 ducks. I got them on Sept 18, 2021 so they are about 11 weeks old now. Well one turned out to be a rooster so 8 hens and 1 rooster. They are all so loving. I’m not sure what the rooster is or one hen (both white with some gray and yellow legs) but I have 3 black sex links and 4 Rhode Island reds. As for the ducks I have 3 male runner ducks and 2 female no idea brownish ducks.
The chickens love to be held. I put them in my shirt and I walk around the house, do chores, or I go to the store and they stay super asleep loving life with mama.
I love my babies they are all so sweet and have their own little personalities. They will be my pets and egg layers.

Names:
Chickens
1. Coconut (unknown)
2. Goldie (Rhode island red)
3. Blackie (black sex link)
4. Rooster Big Red (even though he’s white) (unknown)
5. Bender (black sex link)
6. Red (Rhode island red)
7. Cheetah (black sex link)
8. Pumpkin Spice (Rhode island red)
9. Cinnamon (Rhode island red)

Ducks
1. Peaches (Fawn runner duck)
2. Austin (Fawn runner)
3. Jack (Fawn runner)
4. Coco Vada (unknown)
5. Chloé (unknown)

My other hobbies include the stock market. I have always wanted chickens and I would go to the park and feed the ducks everyday. One day my mom and I were at tractor supply looking at how cute the animals were. The manager passed by and said “don’t look get some! .50¢“ my mom laughed but he was serious so I told her I think he’s serious. She asked and he said yes .50¢ So we decided to get some. No preparations or anything just got some animals. Luckily we had two 45 gallon bucket/tanks?
I am extremely new to this so any advice would help. We built them a very nice chicken coop for 22 so they should all have enough room.
I found byc just by googling questions about my chickens. What made me want to join this amazing community is so many helpful people actually eager to help others and answer any question. Dumb question or not everyone still answers with respect and so much advice and I love that. So I just had to join. I can’t wait to meet so many new people. That’s all thank you all in advance!
(Read below in a comment to see how much I spoiled my babies)

Last edited:
I know are local TSC stops most of there Chick 🐥 sells around September I have a lot of customers calling for chicks and they all say the same thing TSC had some when I was there last time but seem to be sold out and are not getting any more till next year . If there selling them for $0.50 I bet they sold out like hot cakes wow I would have bought as many as I could have for that price. Birds sell very quickly down here in Cali depending on were your At of course I know if your on the outer edge of the city limits or in countryside of CA that have the small hill towns they don’t even get to eat or run the brooder boxes before they sell out you will see everyone in line with a box of chicks or you’ll hear a customer say I’ll take them all and there priced @ $5 each with a minimum order of 4 I can’t imagine what it would look like @ $0.50 each . Will they be strictly pets or will they help your family with supplying Eggs? will you be letting your chickens run the yard free range? Any city restrictions or codes that limit you in the numbers of chickens or rooster allowed?
Will you breed your flock to make more lil chicks 🐥? I would love to hear your plans on your new flock. with the egg 🥚 and meat price going up as high as it is I don’t blame the people for buying the chicks all up at the local feed store. I have not bought eggs for years and I have a big big Famliy I some times get looked at and questioned when I go in to buy my feed and walk out with a pallet or 2 of 20 bags of layer feed you’ll hear customers saying hey leave some for everyone els lol jokingly I always say if you need any feed I’ll sell you some @ a $1Lbs lol it’s a conversation starter that’s for sure and always leads to selling them non-fertile / fertile eggs or chicks 🐥 well I’m happy you decided to join the forum/ site I am also a new member and just wanted to come say hi 👋 I would imagine we will be in the same posts and discussion in the future and I will keep a eye out for you good luck with your new found flock sound like those birds have a good start to life and a future full of fun and will be healthy and well socialize / friendly

.50 cents? Wow he must have gave you a end of the season discount what state did you get that deal in I would love to see some pictures of your flock
In small town along the border in Texas. DR. I will get some pictures of them today. Yes it was a great deal. I think I paid $7.50 for everyone lol. 1 died the first day 😭 but everyone else lived thankfully.

Last edited:
I know are local TSC stops most of there Chick 🐥 sells around September I have a lot of customers calling for chicks and they all say the same thing TSC had some when I was there last time but seem to be sold out and are not getting any more till next year . If there selling them for $0.50 I bet they sold out like hot cakes wow I would have bought as many as I could have for that price. Birds sell very quickly down here in Cali depending on were your At of course I know if your on the outer edge of the city limits or in countryside of CA that have the small hill towns they don’t even get to eat or run the brooder boxes before they sell out you will see everyone in line with a box of chicks or you’ll hear a customer say I’ll take them all and there priced @ $5 each with a minimum order of 4 I can’t imagine what it would look like @ $0.50 each . Will they be strictly pets or will they help your family with supplying Eggs? will you be letting your chickens run the yard free range? Any city restrictions or codes that limit you in the numbers of chickens or rooster allowed?
Will you breed your flock to make more lil chicks 🐥? I would love to hear your plans on your new flock. with the egg 🥚 and meat price going up as high as it is I don’t blame the people for buying the chicks all up at the local feed store. I have not bought eggs for years and I have a big big Famliy I some times get looked at and questioned when I go in to buy my feed and walk out with a pallet or 2 of 20 bags of layer feed you’ll hear customers saying hey leave some for everyone els lol jokingly I always say if you need any feed I’ll sell you some @ a $1Lbs lol it’s a conversation starter that’s for sure and always leads to selling them non-fertile / fertile eggs or chicks 🐥 well I’m happy you decided to join the forum/ site I am also a new member and just wanted to come say hi 👋 I would imagine we will be in the same posts and discussion in the future and I will keep a eye out for you good luck with your new found flock sound like those birds have a good start to life and a future full of fun and will be healthy and well socialize / friendly
Unfortunately no, they did not sell out. The day we went there were so many chicks. I wanted to go back the next day and get them because I started to think it’s sad I wonder where they will end up. I went back the next day and they were gone. Manager said they had to get rid of them. Not sure what that meant.:/

They will be my pets and egg layers. Lol that’s funny. Yes I’ve seen some people with so many bags I always wonder how many they have like 100 lol! I live in Southern Texas. A small town along the border. I don’t think I will breed my flock. I think am allowed 6 every 75ft from another building or something like that in the city limits. I am moving outside the city limits soon.

My babies are very very spoiled lol. As soon as they see me they all want to jump on me so I can hold them and pet them. They get mad if I don’t pet them and give them attention. I always give them their favorite treats and talk to them. Rooster is a spoiled baby also. He runs away from me always but also wants me to catch him (he comes and pecks at me for attention) as soon as I touch him he calms down. I put him under my shirt and he falls straight to a deep sleep. The ducks get more attention at night. I put the chickens to sleep and I sit in the coop. The ducks come towards me and lay on my lap. They love cheek rubs and playing with my hair and just being held. They are very very spoiled. They know the routine, mealworms or favorite treats in the morning and at night if they were good babies lol. The other day they were not good they ganged up on poor rooster. I think they knew I was upset with them. Other than that they are all friendly with each other. Thank you. Nice to meet you. Good luck with your flock and welcome to the group as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom