New Member Introductions

LadyCedar

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Good Morning,
I used to farm decades ago in the Ottawa Valley (Ontario, Canada) and kept (amongst other critters) a flock of 24 Rhode Island Reds.We also raised 225-250 meat birds per year.
Approx a year ago we bought our own amazing 45 acre "farm". Yes, it is small but it is great to be back on the land again.
I have new challenges though, back then, in the Ottawa Valley, I was a) younger, b) still able to get around with canes......now I have to figure out how to farm from a wheelchair!
Since we moved up here, the only "fowl" I have had in my life are Parrots! We seem to have become a "rescue" for parrots......anyways, that topic is for another group.
We are building 2-3 10ft X10ft coops out back, and hope to use 1 for our laying flock, and the other 2 for meat chickens and turkeys (possibly a few pheasant as well.
My Grandson Adam is starting into a 4H club on raising meat birds in May, and the leader of the group is helping us get our first flocks established. But my greatest supporters are my daughter and grandson. They will be my "legs" where I cannot get my wheelchair.
Having farmed so long ago, I have forgotten much, and am certainly behind in any current trends/information in raising hens. So please be patient, and jump in to share with me? I will need help to get this little farm self sufficient. I am always grateful for learning opportunities.
I am against GMO's, and since our Little Farm has been fallow for 20-30 yrs, we are going strictly organic! I have even been reading up on herbs that are good for fowl, and plan to plant along the side of their run. I hope to supplement their feed with items from our own garden (eg: beet tops, dandelion greens)
All our birds will arrive by the last week of May, so right now we are hoping the last snow banks will disappear, and hoping to start construction of our coops and yards, using recycled skids/pallets. If anyone can give me some input/guidance on the best designs/ dimensions I would love the help.

Well that's about all for now, happy to be here.

Dear Lady Cedar,
I enjoy reading your inspiring story, although I do not have any advice, I wish you all the best in your farming and rasing chickens. I have a Rhod Island Red rooster and adore him, he is very cheeky and also protective of his two girls, thanks to Cipi girls survived a very hot summer.
With best wishes

Welcome to BYC LadyCedar!

I actually got a bit teary as I was reading your post! What an amazing thing to be able to return back to the land, and enjoy this part of your life where you started. Four years ago I moved from suburbia to my own little patch of paradise and don't think I could EVER leave and live with houses only 40 feet apart as I used to! What a lovely beautiful thing to be able to share this with your children and grandchildren. So lovely!

This website is so heavy with information and if you go to the dropdown bar at the Forum, under "Raising Chickens" tab you will see more options pop up and choose "Coop and Run, Design, Construction and Maintenance", you will find LOADS of helpful choices. The one thing I love about BYC, if you have a question, just ask ask ask away. Usually an answer comes within minutes!

I am fairly new to the whole raising chickens, and my little flock of 10 has taught me so much in the last year. My only suggestion is to make your runs as strong and sturdy as you can. I am sure with that much land (I laughed when you called it small, 45 acres is awesome!), you have plenty of hungry predators out there waiting for a handout meal! I went full out, used 1x1 galvanized welded wire and hardware cloth generously, and dug out under my coop as well.

Good Luck, and please keep us posted!
MB

Good morning & welcome! Your determination inspires me!! On the mornings when I get out of the warm bed and complain about my back/legs aching, I will think of you...and shut up
tongue.png

You will find much useful info here. If you enjoy reading, I recommend Storeys Guide to raising chickens, by Gail Damerow as the 'go to' bible. I constantly refer to it. There is a companion book too - chicken health handbook, also by Damerow. Being from England I also enjoy 'Practical Poultry' magazine - it has both English & American content.
We only have 15 acres, but it's more than sufficient for our needs - I admire your stamina for farming 45 acres! We currently have a mixed flock of several different breeds, all selected for laying ability. However, my 'sweetheart' is Red Sonja - a RIR, who will spend a huge amount of time sitting on my knee!
I wish you well in your endeavors, hope the snow disappears soon,
highfive.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

You have definitely over come many things in life only to continue on head strong! You are a big inspiration to not let anything stop you in life. How nice that you rescue parrots! I keep them as well and know that these feathered creatures do need "different" care than the standard house pet such as cats and dogs. Parrots take a certain understanding of how to care for them.

Have you stopped by our learning center here on BYC yet? If you need to brush up on your poultry raising skills, lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping your flocks...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

If you have any questions about anything, that is what we are here for. So make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! How nice that you are able to get back to the country, good luck with all your projects, sounds like you and your family will have a busy summer this year.
For your coop construction X2 on the Design forum and check out the Coops section in general for lots of ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops you might like to do a search on pallet coops, a lot of members have built them, in all sizes and shapes https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/550804/pallet-chicken-coop-ideas
There is a list of Organic topics on BYC you might find interesting https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/283192/organic-topics-index

Hello from Spring, Texas :)
In the process of the building-stage of our little chicken farm.....Starting out with 6-8 chickens.....with 4 nesting boxes.
We are calling our coop, "The cock-eyed coop." Because its not built perfectly and had to make some adjustment when we started to enclose it. But, it looks good to us....what do you think?
Still trying to figure out how we are going to add electric....for heat lamp and such. Wonder if we can use solar, but have a lot of trees, so don't know if that would work.
With the research so far....going to use OSB flooring with sand as litter. This coop was adding to our deck and so we need to cover the cracks from the floor.

....the raised door is the clean-out section.....and a view of inside. To the left, is going to be the nesting boxes that will also be accessible from the outside.

Hello from Spring, Texas :)
In the process of the building-stage of our little chicken farm.....Starting out with 6-8 chickens.....with 4 nesting boxes.
We are calling our coop, "The cock-eyed coop." Because its not built perfectly and had to make some adjustment when we started to enclose it. But, it looks good to us....what do you think?
Still trying to figure out how we are going to add electric....for heat lamp and such. Wonder if we can use solar, but have a lot of trees, so don't know if that would work.
With the research so far....going to use OSB flooring with sand as litter. This coop was adding to our deck and so we need to cover the cracks from the floor.

....the raised door is the clean-out section.....and a view of inside. To the left, is going to be the nesting boxes that will also be accessible from the outside.
images

Welcome to BYC!

Very cute coop! Looks like it is coming along well. As for adding electricity, you might post these pics and ask questions in our Coop Construction forums for more help from the coop experts....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Good luck with the coop build! Looks great so far. Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Your story is truly inspiring. My father was wheelchair bound too and I
remember how he worked around things and how he modified things to enable him to work in the garden and get around. It wasn't always easy for him, but he persevered. I think with your enthusiasm you will do very well on your farm. You mentioned wanting to farm organically, gardening etc. Do have a look at BYC's sister forums as well. There are some wonderful discussions on other farming and self-sufficiency related topics there:

SufficientSelf.com
BackYardHerds.com
TheEasyGarden.com

Best of luck with your new venture and please keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom