New Member - Jason in Maine

jlebows

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
Hello all, I'm new to chickens. I got 6 chicks May 1st and have been reading some of the forums a while and thought it would be a good idea to join. As far as breeds I got 2 Black Orps, 2 Golden Comets, 1 Isa Brown and 1 Blue Rock. The chickens are going outside full-time probably today as things are about finished. I have soaked a lot of time and a considerable amount of cash into making sure they are happy and healthy. I think I have actually been overthinking everything a lot, probably too much time close to home due to the Covid shutdown! I built an 8x4 shed with my dad and this filled a lot of time and cost some money but it came out pretty good. I have a run that is about 12x14 and I covered the whole top and sides and wend about a foot into the ground with half inch wire mesh. I'm gonna get a solar door too, lol. I'm looking at the one from Ladies First. The big question at the minute is what to put down on the ground in their uncovered run. I want it to be easy and I want to make sure it doesn't smell too bad, I live in Portland so I don't want to inconvenience my neighbors with strong smelling chickens. I know some people use sand but I don't know why but would like to avoid that if I could. the run is uncovered so I'm really worried about it getting muddy and smelly. There is a lot of information and opinions here so sometimes it is almost overwhelming. Any help appreciated. Nice to meet you all.

Hello Jason and welcome to BYC! This is a great place to learn and share your chicken adventures. I would highly recommend covering your run. A covered run will protect from climbing and or flying predators and keep the run drier during rainy weather and winter snow. Dirt is fine for the run as your chickens will compost their poo themselves. Just throw some pine shavings in there from time to time. Best of luck with your wee flock.

Hello all, I'm new to chickens. I got 6 chicks May 1st and have been reading some of the forums a while and thought it would be a good idea to join. As far as breeds I got 2 Black Orps, 2 Golden Comets, 1 Isa Brown and 1 Blue Rock. The chickens are going outside full-time probably today as things are about finished. I have soaked a lot of time and a considerable amount of cash into making sure they are happy and healthy. I think I have actually been overthinking everything a lot, probably too much time close to home due to the Covid shutdown! I built an 8x4 shed with my dad and this filled a lot of time and cost some money but it came out pretty good. I have a run that is about 12x14 and I covered the whole top and sides and wend about a foot into the ground with half inch wire mesh. I'm gonna get a solar door too, lol. I'm looking at the one from Ladies First. The big question at the minute is what to put down on the ground in their uncovered run. I want it to be easy and I want to make sure it doesn't smell too bad, I live in Portland so I don't want to inconvenience my neighbors with strong smelling chickens. I know some people use sand but I don't know why but would like to avoid that if I could. the run is uncovered so I'm really worried about it getting muddy and smelly. There is a lot of information and opinions here so sometimes it is almost overwhelming. Any help appreciated. Nice to meet you all.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people! Are you in Portland, Oregon, or Portland, Maine? I ask because we moved from Portland, Or a year ago to Lakeside, Or. We are using the deep litter method in the run...just keep chucking in a few buckets a day of wood chips we got from a local tree-trimmer (aged) in the coop. We use pine shavings in the coop and just toss the old stuff out the day each day onto the deep litter of the run. Portland is very wet so you really don't want sand. Sand when it gets wet gets heavy. We've been very happy with the deep litter method - we read articles here just like you did to learn about it. Our run has no smell, nor does the coop. We have, at this point, 13 chickens. 3 are roosters so those will not stay.

Back
Top Bottom