New member! Just finished the coop and added a few pulleys to it...

Shon

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Bonney Lake, WA
We were surprised after one night, we woke to find a few eggs already!

Last edited:
do you have a wire skirt around the bottom (all sides) to prevent diggers from getting in. and hardware cloth around the sides about 18 to 24" tall to keep raccoon paws from snagging the chickens?

You did do a beautiful job
clap.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! Very nice coop, I like it!

I added a 24" tall 1x1 wire netting around the base of the cage last night since my little chihuahua was sticking her head thought the original 2x4 fence.

Unthreatening the base of the cage is a 21" wide piece of rubber conveyor belting that is screwed to the bottom and goes out 15" from the sides of the cage. If the predators want to dig under, they will have to start 15" out and will be digging for quite a while.....

Being the geek I am, I actually added motion sensor web cameras to the open cage as well as in the house so we could keep an eye on them in the beginning.

do you have a wire skirt around the bottom (all sides) to prevent  diggers  from getting in.  and hardware cloth around the  sides about 18 to 24" tall to keep raccoon paws from snagging the chickens?

You did do a beautiful job   :clap

That is a lovely coop. I am a little concerned, even about the 1x1 mesh. Racoons have ridiculously long, skinny arms, and they will reach in there and kill the chickens, even if they can't eat any. The alarm and cameras should help, though. Really, though, a lovely coop.

Back
Top Bottom