New Member- Just saying hi

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome aboard. Taming chickens. The ones that want your affection will give it to you, the ones that dont', won't. My personal experience though.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! Also, thanks for the tips on taming. I got these gals as day-old chicks and have handled them every day, thinking that should be effective. So far, not so much. However, they absolutely go nuts for pieces of bread, so I thought I'd use that in my favor. I also noticed that, although they run around the brooder, trying to get away any time I try to pick somebody up, they calm down a lot if I sit them on my lap instead of trying to hold them. So, with that in mind, I thought I'd try offering little pieces of bread when they're sitting on my lap. I also thought I'd reserve treats for when they are being handled, in the hope that they associate being handled as a positive thing, and also as the only time that the goodies are available.

Do they develop a taste for more foods as they get older? So far they have shown zero interest in fruits or greens of any kind. My best friend swears by grapes for her flock, but mine aren't interested. I was going to get some meal worms and see if that was at all interesting to them.

frow.gif

Welcome! As for taming your chickens, try treats! Some chickens are definitely more friendly than others. I have one that wants to be in my lap every time I'm outside and I have a couple that act like I'm trying to cut their heads off if I pick them up.

Back
Top Bottom