New member/long time reader

MrDBJ

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2021
We got our first backyard chickens probably 15 years ago as a gift for my daughter and because we Just wanted fresh eggs. Along the way, we found out how much fun having chickens can be. They are so easy to take care of, and the personalities that come through from all the chickens we've had over the years is amazing. We live in a small 1/2 acre lot in a residential neighborhood so are limited to 4 "pet chickens". Our first chickens were Leghorns, and once they started laying, 4 was plenty. Over the years, we've learned that our residential neighborhood has some pretty persistent wildlife, not so friendly to our pet chickens. We've lost many chickens to rats, racoons, or foxes and have made many revisions to the chicken coops and pens over the years to keep them out. Lots of learning along the way.
Recently we just ordered a dozen pullets to add to our 1 remaining hen. I knew there would be some attrition with little ones, so I ordered more than we can keep. Lost one in shipping, and 2 in the first couple days in the brooder. I would be happy with 10 chickens as long as the neighbors don't complain. 4 rhode Islands, 3 easter eggers, and 2 leghorns remain. Hopefully we start getting some eggs in April or May.
It's fun to see the surprised neighbors faces, especially the kids, when they walk by and spot our chickens through the fence.

I found the Back Yard Chickens website years ago, and have searched the forum frequently for tips on raising my chickens. With this last order, I decided to register. Always seem to look to this site as a great source for help.

We got our first backyard chickens probably 15 years ago as a gift for my daughter and because we Just wanted fresh eggs. Along the way, we found out how much fun having chickens can be. They are so easy to take care of, and the personalities that come through from all the chickens we've had over the years is amazing. We live in a small 1/2 acre lot in a residential neighborhood so are limited to 4 "pet chickens". Our first chickens were Leghorns, and once they started laying, 4 was plenty. Over the years, we've learned that our residential neighborhood has some pretty persistent wildlife, not so friendly to our pet chickens. We've lost many chickens to rats, racoons, or foxes and have made many revisions to the chicken coops and pens over the years to keep them out. Lots of learning along the way.
Recently we just ordered a dozen pullets to add to our 1 remaining hen. I knew there would be some attrition with little ones, so I ordered more than we can keep. Lost one in shipping, and 2 in the first couple days in the brooder. I would be happy with 10 chickens as long as the neighbors don't complain. 4 rhode Islands, 3 easter eggers, and 2 leghorns remain. Hopefully we start getting some eggs in April or May.
It's fun to see the surprised neighbors faces, especially the kids, when they walk by and spot our chickens through the fence.

I found the Back Yard Chickens website years ago, and have searched the forum frequently for tips on raising my chickens. With this last order, I decided to register. Always seem to look to this site as a great source for help.
Hi! from another new member (since last year). We started raising chickens last year, and we love it! We got 2 extra chicks from the hatchery and so far have lost 2 of our grown chickens, so that evens out. Was heartbreaking both times, though. One hen got run over by a car. And the rooster seems to have gotten himself stuck under our own car in the driveway — my daughter heard frantic wing-beating, ran outside and found him lying lifeless under the car, all the hens standing around it. We free range, but clearly we need a lot of fencing to keep them out of the road and even out of our driveway... Best of luck and good health for your new chickens!

Back
Top Bottom