New member, need help

George Mitchell

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2016
Hello ! I'm new to BYC. im from bristol ( UK ) and a 3 backyard chickens, i have 2 wyandotte bantams and one cockerel. i've join because i think my cockerel is sick ! where could i get help ?

Hi :welcome from Yorkshire

Glad you could join us here! Sorry to hear your cockerel is sick. I see you have posted in the emergency section, I'm sure members there will be able to help you out. Having read your other post, have you checked him for lice? Have you checked your coop for red mite? These pests can really drain a bird.

Good luck, I hope you can get this figured out and him well again soon :fl

how do you check for mites ? i know about scaly legs mites and he might have them, the scales on his feet are different. i'll try and take a picture tomorrow

Last edited:
Red mite live in the coop and only come out to feed on the birds at night time when they are roosting. Check under perches and in any nooks and crannies as this is where they hide ~

Here are some threads on mites ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Red+mite+#

Lice live on the bird and can often be found round the vent and at the base of the tail ~

Eggs can often be seen too ~

Here is an article on lice and mite that's most helpful ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention

Last edited:
thanks, i'll give him a mite inspection tomorrow and clean the coop. the coop we have doesn't really have perches, but i'll check everywhere

Eglu_classic_green_plastic_chicken_coop_with_run_girl_removing_eglu_lid.jpg

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us, but so sorry about the ill Roo.

Would suggest you do a thorough physical exam and post the findings under emergencies with as much details as you can to get the best opines.

And in the meantime place him in a "sick bay" to watch eating, drinking, pooping - and describe those as well.

Hope he recovers.

he doesn't seem to have any mites and his coop doesn't appear to have any ether. his feet look different, is this the beginning of scaly leg mites ?

Back
Top Bottom