NEW MEMBER, NEED HELP

EllenReimer02

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2021
Hi my name is Ellen, I have been around chickens pretty much my whole life. This year is the first year that the chickens are mine and I do all the care and feeding. Right now I have around 45 chickens. Around 30 are Cornish Giants, we have always gotten these ones for eating. Then I have 15 laying hens and roosters. I decided to get 3 different breeds for the layers. So I have 5 White leghorns, 5 Colombian Rock and 5 Red Rock Cross. I would say that my favourite aspects of raising chickens is that it saves my family a lot of money in the long run. We live in northern Canada and everything is so expensive it’s so much cheaper to raise them ourselves. And they eat the leftover vegetable and fruit scraps. They have helped me to become more responsible. Some of my other hobbies include designing tiny homes, my dream house and furniture. I love researching different breeds of farm animals so in the future when I have my own small farm I know the best breeds to get and how to take care of them. Growing up we took care of 2 ponies for the winter, there has always been a dog and cats at our house. We love having a big garden and canning fruits and vegetables in the fall. I found BYC while looking for ways I could doctor a few of my chickens. I did hear about BYC a few years ago but what made me join is that I have a few chickens who have been pecked so much their tail bone is showing and they are bleeding a lot. I have one chicken who has a big hole that is very deep kind of on the back of it’s left leg. We were going to flush out the hole with peroxide but found out we don’t have any so if anyone has any suggestions to what I could that would be amazing!! These pictures are from the last chicken I mentioned. Thanks! Sorry for the gross pictures!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 3
Hello Ellen, welcome to BackYard Chickens! :jumpy Glad you joined. Everyone here is very kind and helpful :)
So sorry about this. I can't think of who to tag at the moment, but hopefully some other members can help.
Start by trimming the feathers around the wound, and clean it out with what others have mentioned.

I hope she heals up soon, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom