New Member- Need some helpful ideas.

mommyof4

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 5, 2012
Kentucky
Hello to all Chicken fans, Iam a very new chicken fan, and just starting out. I live in ky with my husband, and 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls 11,9,6,3 yrs. old. We just bought 5 girls (hens) on Sat. 3 barred rock, and 2 black austrolopes, and have to say I just love them, they are between 1-2 yrs. old and are such sweet girls. So far we have received two beautiful brown eggs, and the family and I are so super eggcited that we even took a pic. My question is is this good so far, since they are in a new enviroment? Is there any first time suggestion and tips that ppl can give me? We have no rooster right now and will probably get one latter on, we are not worry about babies just fresh eggs right now. Thank you so much, I would write more, but right now but I need to go check on the girls, thank you very much for your time.

have a wonderful and blessed day,

Wow you have your hands full with all those kids! :p

Tips.. Hmm.. Well I can't really think of any. Feed them right, give them lots of room to roam, treats are good in moderation... Do you have pictures? Their coop... them.. what not.

We love pictures here :D

:welcome

Thank you, yes my hands are full, but wouldn't have it any other way. :) I have tons of pics but not a way to download it to my computer yet, but when I can I deff. will. I also love pics, and picture taking. Thank you for your advice. One question what is consider treats?

Thank you, yes my hands are full, but wouldn't have it any other way. :) I have tons of pics but not a way to download it to my computer yet, but when I can I deff. will. I also love pics, and picture taking. Thank you for your advice. One question what is consider treats?
Anything that is not their commercial feed is considered treats. Except grass. I would consider that a staple in their diet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens Here is a treat chart :) Barred rocks are my favourite breed.
_MG_7147.jpg
Here is one of my girls laying an egg in a feed bin yesterday. Silly girl :rolleyes:

Greetings from Kansas, mommyof4, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community. Sounds like you are off to a great start and your hens are in good hands. Since chickens don't do well with change but you are getting eggs almost immediately upon getting them, they must have handled the transition very well. I can tell they are in a good home. Best of luck to you and your family!

Just an update, we now have our third egg. My question is do they lay at different times of the day? and does it bother them if we are in and out of there nesting room?

Hello to all Chicken fans, Iam a very new chicken fan, and just starting out. I live in ky with my husband, and 4 children, 2 boys and 2 girls 11,9,6,3 yrs. old. We just bought 5 girls (hens) on Sat. 3 barred rock, and 2 black austrolopes, and have to say I just love them, they are between 1-2 yrs. old and are such sweet girls. So far we have received two beautiful brown eggs, and the family and I are so super eggcited that we even took a pic. My question is is this good so far, since they are in a new enviroment? Is there any first time suggestion and tips that ppl can give me? We have no rooster right now and will probably get one latter on, we are not worry about babies just fresh eggs right now. Thank you so much, I would write more, but right now but I need to go check on the girls, thank you very much for your time.

have a wonderful and blessed day,

Welcome to BYC, and .. chickenry (is that even a word? ~'-)

I've twenty-six chickens, and cling to my hope for no roosters. You've got a wonderful head start on me, as it'll be a while before I see any eggs.

As for tips? Maybe a few ...

The most important one is to protect your children from the potential for getting sick by handling the chickens or equipment w/o washing up (preferably both before and after). They can give us salmonella, botulism, etc. and we can give them diseases by transporting virii in upon our hands, shoes, etc.

Keeping your equipment scrubbed up, and change (actually empty, wash and replace) your water daily, or if it gets dirtied up. Also, you should mix Apple Cider Vinegar in at the rate of four teaspoons to every gallon offered. This does some wonderful things, and can't hurt a single feather ... it makes their insides considerably more hostile towards parasites, boosts their immune systems, helps them to expel excess mucus for better respiratory health, and helps to 'cut through' the mucus and other coatings in their mouth, throat and intestines, improving the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, as well as any medications you should ever have to give 'em.

Become familiar w/ all aspects of flock management; most especially, how to look for symptoms of diseases, and what they mean (the links at the bottom of this post can be mighty useful for that as well). As you continue to handle your birds, you'll be better able to notice if anything changes. There's an excellent presentation on the anatomy of the chicken >> peck here << to open it's introduction in a new window. And, it's a *great* way to help your kids better understand why they can't squeeze too tightly (chickens have no diaphram, so they'll smother if their ribs can't move )-;~

And, above all else but any safety concerns? Be sure 'n enjoy yourselves ...

Reckon that's enough for now ... wouldn't wanna scare you too badly, even though it's sorta too late for you to change your mind now. There's a lot of good folks on BYC that'll help you along the way, but it's best to become informed as you go along ... that way, when those urgent situations arise? You'll be prepared.

Just an update, we now have our third egg. My question is do they lay at different times of the day?  and does it bother them if we are in and out of there nesting room?
Yes they do lay at different times. I have them laying from 6am until almost closing. This is good especially in winter because the next hen to lay in the nesting box will keep the prior eggs warm and they won't freeze.

Hens typically lay every 25-26 hours. So if hen A lays at 8 am today, she will lay at 9am tomorrow. When she gets closer to night time, she will skip that day and lay early the morning after. This equation usually only works for productive hens, and does not take into consideration older hens or fancy breeds that don't lay frequently.

Barred rocks should lay almost every day. Mine do. :)

Congrats on your third egg! :celebrate

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom