New member Needs HELP 3 weeks chick with FOWL POX

kittiedoll

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2021
This is my second year with 5 hens, two Easter Egger, two White Leghorn, and one Barred Rock. They are our pet and fresh eggs. I am a housewife with a homestead dream. I came across this community when researching fowl pox on Google.

My Barred Rock just hatched 2 babies that are now 3 weeks old and one of them has fowl pox.
The infected chick looks like Lentil from @speethechicken post. I am wondering how are the chicks doing now. Please help

Last edited:
Pox is much harder in young chicks than grown chickens because the scabs are usually on the face around eyes and nostrils. If eyes are affected as Lentil chick’s is, apply a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin Ointment antibiotic ointment to the eyes twice a day. Hand feed it if it cannot see food or water. Watery mush feed, cooked egg, or baby bird feed is good. Pox lasts about 3 weeks.

Thank you for your response Wyorp Rock.

It looks like a dry fowl pox. I am worry about the one that's near her eye and her beak.
She is eating, drinking and running around scratching like normal. She sleeps inside the house at night and out with her mom during the day. I have been cleaning and putting ointment on them before bed daily.

Attachments

• 20210830_064105.jpg
    20210830_064105.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 12
Pox is much harder in young chicks than grown chickens because the scabs are usually on the face around eyes and nostrils. If eyes are affected as Lentil chick’s is, apply a small dab of Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin Ointment antibiotic ointment to the eyes twice a day. Hand feed it if it cannot see food or water. Watery mush feed, cooked egg, or baby bird feed is good. Pox lasts about 3 weeks.
Thank you Eggcessive. I will do

Are her nostrils open to breathe through? That can be an issue. Poor chick.
The lesions cover both side of the nostrils, and I tried to look closely but cannot tell if they are completely obstructing her from breathing. However, she seems to be running around eating and scratching like normal. I want to try to remove it to help her breathe better but afraid I would do more harm than help. It bleeds here and there because she keeps scratching them. I clean the lesions with Vetericyn Plus and apply the plain Neosporin.

Back
Top Bottom